Help support TMP

"Engineers of The Guard" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

426 hits since 11 Dec 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

thomaspicton11 Dec 2018 3:20 p.m. PST

On 10th July 1810, a decree announced the creation of the Engineers of the Imperial Guard: A company of sappers would be part of the Guard under the the Commander of Engineering. This company would provide the Fire Brigade in the imperial palaces.

At its creation, the unit consisted of 139 men: three officers, 15 non-commissioned officers and corporals, two drummers and 104 sappers. Six sappers and 10 drivers were responsible for the service of eight water pumps.While the civil role of the Engineers of the Guard was limited to the fire safety of the imperial palaces, in the field the unit became engineers. In 1812, their numbers were increased to 200 men. At the time of the Russian campaign, the Engineers of the Guard were attached to the division of infantry of the Old Guard.

In 1813, the unit was joined by the company of sappers of the newly created Young Guard, bringing the number to 376 officers, non-commissioned officers and sappers. In 1814, the Engineers of the Guard becomes a battalion with four companies, of which the first only was of Old Guard, for a total number of 615 men.

Dissolved by the First Restoration, the Engineers of the Guard were reorganised by Napoleon in 1815 participating in the campaign of Belgium.

With the exception of a few Hinton Hunt, my Engineers are largely conversions from Zvezda Old Guard, Hat, the Waterloo 1815 dismounted Dragoons and some Franznap. This took quite a bit of work and there are about 250 sappers on parade.

You can see more on my blog at: generalpicton.blogspot.com

Hope you like them!

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP11 Dec 2018 4:46 p.m. PST

Very nice!

torokchar Supporting Member of TMP11 Dec 2018 6:22 p.m. PST

EXCELENT work – great looking force.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2018 1:10 a.m. PST

Sorry, I commented on Tango's posting of your images, which appeared minutes after yours.

So many clever bits of work. The map reader. What about the drummers and especially the chap looking up at the drone camera with his mouth gaping. "What the hell is that thing?"

thomaspicton12 Dec 2018 10:55 p.m. PST

Thanks everyone, they were a lot of work, but fun to do. I'm always confused by Tango's posts – you never know when to expect them but he is kind to so enthusiastically support my efforts!

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2018 2:19 a.m. PST

*Very* impressive ! I have a unit of that force which
I painted back in the 1960's using Scruby 30mm's.

thomaspicton13 Dec 2018 2:51 a.m. PST

Thanks Ed, I wish I had more of the 25mm Scrubys which work well with the modern 20mms, but never know where to buy them nowadays!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.