Help support TMP

"R GW minis too busy to paint?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

396 hits since 4 Dec 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2018 4:19 p.m. PST

Have Game Workshops minis become too difficult (detailed/ fussy) to paint for the average painter & gamer?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2018 4:21 p.m. PST

They have had too much detail for years.

Soaring Soren04 Dec 2018 4:34 p.m. PST

The Black Fortress models aren't bad at all really, and I hate too much detail.
Sigmarines are quite easy.
But most of their stuff is too detailed for my ability to handle.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2018 4:41 p.m. PST

Yes.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2018 6:39 p.m. PST

Their current stuff is too gaudy and over the top for my taste anyway, so it's a moot point with me.

D A THB04 Dec 2018 8:22 p.m. PST

I spoke of my woes here. link

I think it took a month to paint 10 figures and then figured enough was enough and stopped.

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 1:35 a.m. PST

Yes, having said that I stopped buying them a decade ago because of price & complexity.

Legion 405 Dec 2018 2:04 a.m. PST

GW has said in the past they are modelling company first and a gaming company second. I get that. Frankly I too find many of their models Waaaaay over the top for my tastes.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 4:55 a.m. PST

Nah.

Some of the models are huge and have lots of fiddly bits. Some are smaller and more basic.

I am not a pro painter and am relatively sure there is nothing in the GW EULA for their minis that requires me to use all 27 shades of mauve in accordance with the official painting guide on the undead lord's robe.

picture

This guy looks perfectly fine and wasn't painful to paint.

Personal logo x42brown Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 6:49 a.m. PST

To me they are definitely too fussy detailed but this doe not necessarily make them harder to paint. It does (to me) make them unattractive.

x42

Legion 405 Dec 2018 7:04 a.m. PST

I do only 6mm Sci-fi now, since about '90 … I try to put as much detail as I can paint on all models including GW/FW's. But in many cases there is a lot of detail there. So I try to make sure I pick it out !

Some of my "Last Chancers" … all GW Epic models. I did add some weapons modifications though …

picture

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 7:28 a.m. PST

These days it feels more like a game of "My convoluted baroque diorama attacks your convoluted baroque diorama."

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 1:34 p.m. PST

Yes. Not the only company going over the top, on details. Say what you like, but Reaper Bones have less detail, and for me, that is a very good thing. I paint for arm's length viewing only. That detail is a waste by them, and for me, as it cannot be seen at arm's length, or beyond. For me, pointless.

To put it another way, I am an army painter, who churns them out in quantity, at a lower quality level of painting (block paint, assembly line style, apply The Dip). I ignore, and paint over, excessive details. Cheers!

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 2:30 p.m. PST

Well the high amount of detail covering the surface of a model does have some advantages in that even a mediocre painter can make them look good.

Opposed to say a figure which is mostly large areas of flesh which is much harder to get right.

Personal logo javelin98 Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2018 10:59 p.m. PST

Definitely overdone. I lean towards simpler, cleaner looks like Copplestone Castings. GW's Cadians aren't bad, but the rest of the lineup are really too far over the top; it makes me tired just to look at them.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Dec 2018 8:14 a.m. PST

To put it another way, I am an army painter, who churns them out in quantity, at a lower quality level of painting (block paint, assembly line style, apply The Dip). I ignore, and paint over, excessive details. Cheers!

So what about excessively ornate minis prevents you from doing that?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.