Help support TMP

"My First Game of TUSK!" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

Areas of Interest

Ancients

507 hits since 20 Nov 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Barry S20 Nov 2018 6:27 p.m. PST

I have owned the mammoth hunting rules TUSK for far more years than I care to remember and after quite a hiatus from rolling dice, I decided it was time to finally have a game to break the drought.

It was a basic set up with two groups of hunters, one controlled by my son and the other by me. A mate of mine offered to look after the mammoths, rolling their reactions etc. We decided not to use dogs or fire.

My lad started off and decided to send his hero and a couple of other chaps forward and another two off on their own. I decided to split my group and tried to encircle a beast, however after seeing one of the mammoths get separated from the rest of the herd, I decided to chase after it.

First blood was drawn by my son, who on his first roll, kills the mammoth.

His blood was now up and at the next opportunity decides to attack another mammoth with his hero with disastrous results. With his hero down, I decide what the heck and run in with my hero and take a swing.

Fortunately for me the dice gods were on my side and the mammoth went down with a thud.

We continued to chase the mammoths across the table. Finally at the table edge a couple of the beast had had enough of as and turned to attack. Unfortunately, I lost a tribe member, but my son claimed another mammoth.

I am sure we got some things wrong, but we had a great time and I am sure it wont be long before we go hunting again.
Thanks for looking.

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP20 Nov 2018 9:10 p.m. PST

Someday mine will come off the shelf and into play too.

This looks like it was a fun game!

advocate21 Nov 2018 3:08 a.m. PST

Greed is bad. One mammoth should be enough for the tribe for a while.

Barry S21 Nov 2018 7:37 a.m. PST

miniMO – It was great fun. My 10 year old thoroughly enjoyed himself so I dare say we will be playing again in the not too distant future.

advocate – I agree that greed is bad, but we got carried away. I also wasn't expecting the first dice roll against the mammoth to kill it outright.

Gone Fishing21 Nov 2018 9:18 a.m. PST

This looks like tremendous fun. I always have to ask: what make figures do you use? Looks like they are 28s?

Thank you for sharing!

coopman22 Nov 2018 6:41 a.m. PST

Where do you get the Mammoth figures?

Tony S22 Nov 2018 5:04 p.m. PST

I think when I was a kid I had some of those Mammoths – I believe they're plastic children's toys? Although mine were cast in bright green plastic (perhaps because the factory also made the green toy soldiers and didn't bother changing the plastic for production)?

For the record my mammoth was sadly mutilated by a budgie who for reasons known only to a tiny bird brain, nibbled off the tail and the mangled the tusks.

I own all the Tusks, and even bought the 6mm Tusk starter set many, many years ago but never got around to painting or playing it. I did buy some wonderful Pulp Figures cavemen and even painted a few, but didn't get much further. Perhaps I should dig them out; your write up and pictures are very inspiring. Great work!

Barry S22 Nov 2018 5:21 p.m. PST

Gone Fishing – It was great fun. The miniatures are 15mm and are from Khurasan. Lovely miniatures and really great to paint up.

I am building a 28mm setup to put on at some local events. I have most of the miniatures needed, now I just need to paint them.

coopman – The mammoths are Mojo Fun 387417 Mini Woolly Mammoth. You can sometimes find them on eBay and Amazon

Barry S22 Nov 2018 6:04 p.m. PST

Tony S Thanks. I think I have one of the Mammoths you mention. IIRC, they were by Marx.

The mammoths in the photos were bought at a educational toy shop.

The baby mammoths are what are called 'Good Luck Miniatures'. They are made of rubber. I cut their tusk off and coated them in varnish which made them a little less flexible.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.