Help support TMP

"5e Régiment de Chasseurs à cheval" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

548 hits since 25 Sep 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2018 2:26 p.m. PST

"L'ordonnance du 17 mars 1788 transforme six régiments de dragons en régiments de chasseurs à cheval, qui prennent les six premiers rangs dans l'arme des chasseurs.
Le régiment Ségur-dragons, créé en 1675, devient Chasseurs de Hainault. En raison de son ancienneté, il prend le cinquième rang dans les chasseurs à cheval.
Le règlement du 1er janvier 1791 lui fait quitter son nom de province pour n'être plus désigné que par le numéro de son rang de création, soit 5e régiment de chasseurs à cheval.
Il fait les campagnes de 1792 à 1794 à l'armée du Nord…."

Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

Garde de Paris30 Sep 2018 7:45 a.m. PST

Back in the 1960's we only had Stadden 30mm and Willies 30mm, and a very limited selection. I explored taking a Willie Prussian Napoleonic hussar, leaning forward in the saddle, with his sword arm down and to the rear, and converting 1 to the 5th. I scraped away the barrell sash, put a Stadden hussar head in shako with tall plume on the figure, and fashioned a sword by flattening a brass rod. Painted the Stadden horse at full stride as a "claybank bay." I simply painted the shako with yellow body, black bands top and bottom. For lack of this kind of shako shown in the article, I consider him the first of a 6-figure "imaginations" 5th French chasseurs a cheval.

The Prussian hussar also worked well to make Vistula Legion Lancers – 8 figure squadron: four with lances lowered as for running down the British at Albuera, and Officer, trumpeter, 2 with carbines and no lances.

We had fun in those very limited and primitive days of war gaming!

Does anyone make a figure today that matches the shell jacket without barrel sash, and the peculiar shako?

GdeP

Garde de Paris30 Sep 2018 7:54 a.m. PST

I am surprised that no one has commented on this article, as the 5th was very active in Spain, associated with the 2nd French hussars (dark brown pelisse and dolman, powder blue facings); the 10th chasseurs (crimson); the 26th chasseurs (odd brownish-red); the Westphalian chevau leger, and others.

My special-built French 1st Division was to have 11 battalions drawn from the 11 regiment of the real Ist Corps, plus a battalion of sailors, supported by an 8-gun battery of 8 pdrs. I wanted to attach four squadrons of cavalry as well: 2nd Hussars; 5th Chasseurs; 10th Chassuers; and Westphalians – mine equipped with lances. An enterprising French wargame player might be able to launch an attach with 3 squadrons in line, 4th behind the lancers in the center of the first line. 2nd hussars protect the lancer right flank; 5th chasseur protect the lancer left flank; 10th chasseurs push through the lancers once the shatter the enemy unit they hit. Lancers re-group, ready to attack or pursue.

Never had the time to complete them, and probably never will.

GdeP

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2018 1:48 p.m. PST

I'm surprised too my friend… (smile)

Thanks for the threads…

Amicalement
Armand

Art Inactive Member01 Oct 2018 12:20 p.m. PST

G'Day Gents

Did I just read about one of my favorite regiments

While this is not an antidote of some great skirmish…it is interesting…something that you would read hussars doing…

hence this is at least different…even make a diorama of it…on the Pau road at night with torches to show the way…

On the 17th of March 1814,

Oman, volume 7, pp 439

"…Soult made the one effective move—on an infinitesimal scale—of his whole campaign. A reconnaissance party of 100 picked men on picked horses, from his left-wing cavalry, made a wide sweep round Wellington's extreme southern flank, and created considerable alarm in his rear. This raid was headed by a Captain Daunia of the 5th Chasseurs."

"He crossed the Pau road by night, and appeared on the 18th at Hagetmau near St. Sever, where he rushed the town at dawn, and captured six medical officers, a small convoy, and two drafts of convalescents who were on their way to the front—nearly a hundred prisoners in all."

"He made off without a moment's delay, and rejoined Pierre Soult that same night, having covered 84 kilometres in thirty hours. Wellington, unable to believe that this raid had been executed by regular cavalry at such a distance from the enemy's front, concluded that it was the work of a partisan corps of local irregulars…"

Best Regards
Art

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.