Help support TMP

"Techinal question: Preferences for guns manned or unmanned?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Cold War (1946-1989) Message Board

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2007) Message Board

301 hits since 15 Sep 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Aotrs Commander15 Sep 2018 5:06 a.m. PST

I am just starting to work on a CAD model for a technical[1](which is based on the Toyota Hilux) at 144th scale. (I may do more than one, eventually, we'll see.)

The big question that arises is about the MGs. As a rule, with my models, I have always done MGs as just the guns, like turrets, not depicting the hatches open with blokes firing. This is because it would make turning the turrets incredibily difficult to handle and also because modelling people is something I can only do crudely, given the limitations of both print and my own set of skills.

But, the MG on a technical (or jeep, which may be a future commission) is not on the top of a turret with a hatch.

So, then, the question becomes whether I should just do the gun on its own (which might look a bit odd) or to do a fairly crude bloke holding it.

Or split the differece, and have the gun as a turret like in my other models (the more parts the same the better, as far as I'm concerned) and model a bloke sat down near it or something.

Now, I have done infantry before -

- but only for sci-fi, where I can ascribe some of the crudity to full body armour (though to be fair at 144th scale, it's sufficiently small you can't see a lot of details anyway), and I know UshCha has gotten away with very crude figures in the past.

(For instance, when we still played 25/28mm, he made some landrover wolves with MGs out of layered cardboard with crude stick-figure humans and they didn't cause too much comment.)

My question is then thus: what do people prefer in this instance, at this sort of scale? MGs with men or without?

(My ultimate aim is eventually to do a scifi version of the Global Liberation Army from Command and Conquer Generals, because I will take any excuse to be able to quote that game I once made a Cyberpunk character with the character goal of eventually being able to shout "AK-47s for *everyone!" But before I do that, I thought I should at least start with a modern one so as to have some idea of what I was looking at!)

[1]No, I won't apologise for the title pun, I'm not sorry!

Edit: I will, however, apologise for the typo in the title, which of course I noticed about two seconds after clicking "post…"

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP15 Sep 2018 3:44 p.m. PST

I want my guns to be manned, and my opponent's not to be.

Oh, you mean, models. Ideally, the gunner can be put behind the gun or removed as appropriate.

Aotrs Commander16 Sep 2018 5:32 a.m. PST

That might be a bit… Impractical at 12mm, shall we say.

(And in the specific case in the technical, if the gunner is dead, then the vehicle is essentially combat ineffective.)

Legion 418 Sep 2018 8:01 a.m. PST

I always have at least one crewman on my field guns, mortars, etc. With AFVs it is optional for me …

Lion in the Stars18 Sep 2018 8:14 a.m. PST

I think I'd rather have Technicals with a manned gun.

I certainly almost always use the gunner figure on my WW2 halftracks, and the Vietnam tracks all have gunners (and often an added M79 gunner on the back deck!)

Aotrs Commander19 Sep 2018 9:11 a.m. PST

So, I have made the first pass.

Bolted down and ready!

So, we have a crude bloke with a crude shemagh[1] (since as I can't do a passable human head with hair and stuff, it had to be something and that was a) what some chaps in one of the photos I was looking at were wearing and b) the GLA influence is strong…

It wasn't possible to actually make the DsHK HMG actually pivot wit the bloke on it. There just isn't enough room – at very best, youd get maybe 10 off the centreline facing forwards only, so I elected that it wasn't worth trying and I could also then afford to move the pintle itself slightly further fowards and make it as one piece. (I'll how the prototype comes out later.)

[1]I am notoriusly Bad At Clothes on pretty much any level, so I THINK that's what that particular head gear is called from a google search, but I might be entirely wrong.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.