Help support TMP

"CRT type war games with plastic Army Men figures?" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

320 hits since 9 Sep 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 12:20 p.m. PST

Green and Tan plastic Army Men figures seem to be a staple of every boy's toy chest. As a child, I suspect most of us played made-up war games with these beloved toys, in the house, in the garden, etc. The most common "rules", likely involved throwing a tennis ball, clumps of dirt, or a rubber ball, at the hapless figures. Perhaps some of us used rubber bands as our weapon of choice.

These figures are usually available just about everywhere: Wal-Mart, Amazon, gas stations, etc. They are very inexpensive for the generic types, while there are more expensive types which are aimed more towards collectors. Vehicles tend to be in a different scale from the men. True 54mm vehicles can be found, but they drive the prices quite high, if used.

My question is simple. If you choose not to publicly answer, hopefully the Editor will offer this as an anonymous poll, later on. Now, for the poll question…

Have you ever war gamed with 54mm (or larger) plastic army men figures? By, "war gamed", I mean using dice, and a Combat Results Table, not using tennis balls, clumps of dirt, etc.

A) Never.
B) Only played the informal, clump of dirt types of games with them.
C) When I was younger, but not since.
D) I did for years, but not anymore.
E) Still playing! Cheapest wargaming possible!
F) No, but I am planning to start.
G) No, but I would like to.

Cheers!

Timbo W10 Sep 2018 12:49 p.m. PST

B

khanscom10 Sep 2018 1:48 p.m. PST

H-- None of the above. A mere handful of Western Gunfight skirmishes using Britains 54mm plastics; most games used 25mm, though.

bobspruster10 Sep 2018 2:39 p.m. PST

A. Played with them daily, but no rules. Except maybe mine. I was the big kid in the neighborhood.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 2:59 p.m. PST

B.

I have tinkered with rules for them for years, but was never happy with the feel and level of complexity I came out with.

So, maybe an "F", too?

Coelacanth Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 3:29 p.m. PST

"Good to go!"

Ron

Grelber10 Sep 2018 4:28 p.m. PST

Yes. I played a game based on the Charlton Heston movie "The Warlord," using 54mm Britain's figures. Later on, a friend wanted to try out some WWII rules, and borrowed his son's 54mm figures for the effort. These don't seem to fit into any of your categories.

Grelber

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 4:39 p.m. PST

B Thought about it but thankfully decided not to do another scale.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 4:47 p.m. PST

A

When I was 8 years old. Not sure if that counts. But other than that never.

mad monkey 110 Sep 2018 5:18 p.m. PST

B.

LAP195410 Sep 2018 5:20 p.m. PST

B for the poll. Some of the first miniatures painted was this scale. Not much detail. Only had a few enamel colors. This would have been in the mid 1960's. First dice games and homemade rules were with Airfix, Giant or HO scale miniatures about the same time frame.

Chuckaroobob10 Sep 2018 5:44 p.m. PST

B

Titchmonster10 Sep 2018 5:49 p.m. PST

B

streetgang6 Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 6:23 p.m. PST

B, usually aerosol cans and matches. Went through quite a few plastic soldiers to say the least. It was the 1970s, a time when adult supervision was quite minimal.

Stryderg10 Sep 2018 6:54 p.m. PST

Clumps of dirt?, how crude.
I used penny rockets and fire crackers.
And had to purchase replacements.
Good fun, that. The playing, not the replacing.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 7:26 p.m. PST

Dirt clods and rocks work nicely.

The former are especially good for artillery, since they explode nicely.

DisasterWargamer Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2018 7:47 p.m. PST

Have since I was young and still do

Though got into both HO and 1/32 scales early with airfix and kept the collection growing from there

Green Tiger11 Sep 2018 3:07 a.m. PST

E

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2018 4:10 a.m. PST

Thank you, All, for the responses. I appreciate any responses which do not fit into the listed categories, as well. Cheers!

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2018 8:12 a.m. PST

D they're great for skirmish games

Greylegion11 Sep 2018 4:59 p.m. PST

B.

I had over 500 of them. I had a friend that about the same number of them. We had huge battles with them in a farmers field (and my dad's garden). Fond memories.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2018 6:01 a.m. PST

Clumps of dirt?, how crude.
I used penny rockets and fire crackers.
And had to purchase replacements.

Oh, and that, too. grin

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.