Help support TMP

"Artillery wagons FPW" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

277 hits since 9 Aug 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Sparta09 Aug 2018 7:07 a.m. PST

Does anybody know how artillery wagon train/munitionwageons looked during the FPW. I have som indication that they were very similar to Napoleonic Caissons for both french and prussians, but nothing definitive.

Artilleryman09 Aug 2018 9:00 a.m. PST

Here's a rather na´ve image of French equipment:

picture

And Foundry model for Prussia:

link

Hope that is a start.

Sparta10 Aug 2018 2:16 a.m. PST

Thank you for the pics. It seems to be a bit different from the gribeaval model in the pic above. The uniforms seems more 1850 to me and it appears to predate rifled artillery – I do not know if the caissons changed.
The Foundr figs are nice, but is is more a supplky than an artillery wagon?

Artilleryman10 Aug 2018 6:14 a.m. PST

You are probably right on all points. It seems a difficult question to answer considering these are major armies in a major war.

Sparta13 Aug 2018 3:27 a.m. PST

Yes I have also been quite amazed that it seems absolutely impossible to find any info on the net on something as simple as artillery caissons for the two major protagonists in one of the most important european wars.

I have ordrered Summefields smoothbore ordnance journals issue on the FPW to see if there is any info there…

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.