Help support TMP

"The Missing V12-Powered Tank Tucker Built to...." Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

442 hits since 13 Jul 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP13 Jul 2018 3:27 p.m. PST

….. Dominate World War II

"Preston Tucker is well known today for the cars he built after World War II, but there is one vehicle he built before the war which–if it still exists–might be worth some money as well. Tucker explored the possibility of furnishing goods to the military as the war approached, and he imagined an armored vehicle driven by a powerful engine, racing around a battlefield faster than the lumbering army tanks of the day. He developed a prototype which he called the Tucker Tiger Tank. The vehicle was wheeled, not tracked, so it would more properly be considered not a tank but an armored car. It was also fast, powered by a Packard V12 engine famed engine builder Harry Miller had modified for the application….."

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Fred Cartwright14 Jul 2018 1:35 a.m. PST

Interesting. Never heard of it. Not sure that an armoured car that could do 114mph is a war winner though. Mobility over firepower and protection. A 5t armoured car won't have a lot of armour.

rmaker14 Jul 2018 6:58 a.m. PST

Preston Tucker was one of the great charlatans of the mid-20th Century. The "Tiger Tank" was a sham. He also milked the government for millions to develop an "advanced" fighter plane that never got as far as the mockup stage.

And, despite Hollywood, his automobile wasn't "a car for the masses" – not at over $1,500 USD apiece when Fords and Chevrolets were selling at $350. USD

donlowry14 Jul 2018 8:27 a.m. PST

I saw a Tucker car when I was a boy -- must have been 1947. The thing that struck me about it was the center headlight that turned with the wheels so it always pointed at where you were going.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2018 8:33 a.m. PST

Had not heard about it – given the primary weapon was a 37mm gun, probably not a war winner

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2018 11:16 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friend!.

Amicalement
Armand

Mark 116 Jul 2018 7:20 p.m. PST

Wow. A 5 ton wheeled tank with 37mm main gun? Sounds like the perfect answer to the armored challenge that we faced in WW2 ETO.

Give up the heavy armor, the heavy gun, and the cross-country / rough terrain capability, and go for more speed on flat good ground instead. Yep, that's the ticket.

I mean how else are you going to beat the BT-7?

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Jul 2018 4:45 a.m. PST

Well, the 37mm gun was the pretty much the standard armament for most tanks in early 1939. And I'd think that a lot of troops would be panicked by the sight of a swarm of these things rushing toward them at 100mph! :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.