Help support TMP

"Returned from Tankfest in Covington" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

788 hits since 5 Jul 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Jul 2018 2:02 a.m. PST

A couple of buddies and I attend Tankfest last weekend in Bovington. We had a great time. The event was well run, and we got to see, up close and personal, a lot of rare tanks, including many that were running and driving around the arena.

picture

You can see a lot of pictures and videos here bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=7883 and here bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=7916

picture

If you have not been to this even, I highly recommend it.

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Jul 2018 2:04 a.m. PST

Well, that was interesting. Apparently this was posted FOUR times. Also, the spell checker helped me out by "correcting" Bovington.

Bindon Blood06 Jul 2018 2:46 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it. It's great day out, went a couple of times a few years back, you don't realise how big some these beasties are until they drive past you…

My favourites were the Centurion and the Rolls Royce A/C. Until that day I never realised just how much bigger than the Chieftain a Cent is…

Nice photos btw..

Duncan Adams06 Jul 2018 4:37 a.m. PST

you don't realise how big some these beasties are until they drive past you…

Or conversely, how small some of the early ones are.

Duncan

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2018 5:53 a.m. PST

Those who can't make it across the Pond consider Virginia. The National Museum of Americans in Wartime, and the "Tank Farm" in Nokesville can't compete with Bovington, but the annual "running of the tanks" at Nokesville includes everything from US Renault FT clones through to Cold War armor, and it's a shorter drive from Indiana.

PzGeneral06 Jul 2018 7:22 a.m. PST

Great pics and videos. Thanks for sharing!!

DeRuyter06 Jul 2018 10:17 a.m. PST

Loved the line about going to the tank museum on a family trip and getting hints it was time to leave the museum after two hours! I get that all the time – definitely need to go back on a "wargamer trip"

Rogues106 Jul 2018 11:41 a.m. PST

That was awesome Buck. I will look for you guys at HCON to get some info on dates and where to go/stay. I have wanted to do this but the family usually decides what we have to do. We went to Churchill Museum and it was a long wait as well, but it was an interesting museum. Thanks

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Jul 2018 1:01 p.m. PST

Rogues1: If you are interested in Tankfest 2019, you should make your reservation today.

Robert: The Danville tank museum is quite good in Virginia. At tankaganza a few years ago, they did a flamethrower demonstration and drove an M60-A2 over a car. Throughout my career, I never saw an A2 run; they were always artillery targets in the impact area.

Lion in the Stars06 Jul 2018 4:11 p.m. PST

Well, a Starship was an A1 below the turret, so shouldn't be too hard to get and keep running. That turret, though…

nickinsomerset06 Jul 2018 10:23 p.m. PST

Good stuff and next weekend is the Battlegroup south Wargames show at Bovington another reason to visit Bovington,

Tally Ho!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.