Help support TMP

"‘Underground’ May Be the U.S. Military’s Next Warfighting " Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Gaming (2008-present) Message Board

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

684 hits since 27 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2018 8:37 p.m. PST

…Domain.

"Tunnels and subterranean infrastructure demand high-level attention, training, and technology, the military's intelligence chief says.

The U.S. military is considering adding a new warfighting domain to U.S. military doctrine: the underground realm, said the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.

"Subterranean is something we are going to have to contend with in the future. You look at the electrical systems…control systems, control grids," Lt. Gen. Robert Ashley said Tuesday at the Defense One Technology Summit in Washington, D.C…."
Main page
link

So… a new way to wargame Ultramodern… (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Lion in the Stars28 Jun 2018 10:22 p.m. PST

You know, the *official* unit motto for the Tunnel Rats during Vietnam was "non parum anum rodentum" – "not worth a rat's ass"

No joke!

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2018 4:05 a.m. PST

I thought that the next sphere of influence was Space – and the Space Force.

I heard they'd even re-opened NASA to support Space Force.

It's amazing that NASA had ever been closed down of course, but who knew? Not even NASA apparently….

28mm Fanatik29 Jun 2018 6:26 a.m. PST

Hamas and Hezbollah have been using tunnels in their war with Israel. I don't know if underground warfare warrants a whole new domain, but at least we can train a specialized subterranean unit for it like the 10th Mountain Division for mountain and arctic warfare.

Roderick Robertson Fezian29 Jun 2018 7:43 a.m. PST

You don't need a new wing of the Military, just good ol' American know-how: YouTube link

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2018 11:18 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2018 1:29 p.m. PST

I'm always happy to run or play in a dungeon crawl, whether in a medieval/magical setting or science fiction, or, now, modern/ultramodern.

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2018 9:23 p.m. PST

Hey, once you've finished one of those Chunnel-sized jobs, you need to do _something_ with the tunnelling machines.

SouthernPhantom30 Jun 2018 9:24 p.m. PST

Underground is sort of my speciality, being a mining engineer. That would be a very challenging environment to fight in.

Uparmored01 Jul 2018 2:14 a.m. PST

Cool man..

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2018 8:49 p.m. PST

Uparmored

That looks awesome!

Dan
PS. My brother told me that the he tunnel rats in Nam reported finding some pretty elaborate set ups, but definitely not meant for the claustrophobic.

Uparmored26 Aug 2018 4:15 a.m. PST

Yeah Cacique, hoping to get the movie soon, it's from the movie Invaders from Mars

Apache 629 Aug 2018 5:13 p.m. PST

I think special forces (with robotic systems) hunting Terrorists or South East Asian Tyrants through tunnel systems would make an interesting game.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2018 7:38 a.m. PST

I agree!

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.