Help support TMP

"10mm Terrain Essentials" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

514 hits since 21 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

John Platt Inactive Member22 Jun 2018 7:22 a.m. PST

OK, so I know before I start that this is going to be a stupid question but I really would value some input.

I'm getting back into gaming after a break and I dusted off my old 10mm WWII stuff for Blitzkrieg Commander. I have figures (and I was surprised at how good a job I'd made of them) but at present, I don't have any terrain other than a few buildings I think I must have given it away when I packed in gaming.

I'm planning on playing 1944/45 North West Europe with my teenage sons and I find myself at the bottom of a metaphoric big hill. I don't have any cover/terrain etc and I need to prioritise building or buying (but probably building) some.

I'm planning to build some walls and hedges and buy some trees what else do you guys find useful? Should I bother with hills or roads or rivers? Would modelling minefields and fields be a better choice? What about bridges?
My time is limited (as are my funds) so where would you guys start and what would you prioritise?

steamingdave47 Inactive Member22 Jun 2018 7:53 a.m. PST

Roads and tivers are pretty essential; road junctions were often objectives, as were bridges. I make roads and rivers out of scrap cardboard. It needs to a be a reasonable thickness to stop it warping when you paint it, the backs of A4 paper pads are great. You could also use thick hardboard or mdf; I got a supply from the backs of old self- assembly furniture.
If you want flexible roads to follow terrain contours, you need latex or rubber strip , that does mean spending a bit of cash.
If you have a decent green cloth, don't bother too much with hills – books or layers of cardboard from boxes under the cloth do a decent job and give flexibility in shape and size of hills; figures don't slide off hillls gormed this way like they do with the " domed" plastic hills.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2018 8:05 a.m. PST

If you're tight for money, scratchbuild the trees and hedges. A box of so of roofing nails and pom-poms from a craft shop will cover your board and look decent with a little glue and flock, and hedges are what those green scrubbing pads are for. Neither will strain the defense budget

But you certainly need bridges and they have to be coordinated with your roads and rivers. I'd say buy some commercial bridges with straight sides--very important--do cardboard rivers as Steaming Dave recommends to match, and consider your options on roads lining up with the size of your bridges. Vinyl is nice but expensive. I like felt myself--cheap and follows contours--but not everyone is content with it.

But don't buy or build a road which won't go up and down your hills.

hurrahbro22 Jun 2018 11:46 a.m. PST

Roads, rivers and hedges.
Roads and rivers can be done with scraps of cloth or even card that has been painted.
Hedges, use sponge painted green and cut into thin strips.

firebase201223 Jun 2018 1:56 a.m. PST

For cheap and good looking rivers buy sheets of cheap acetate a clear reflective thin plastic simply paint your prefered colour wait till it drys then flip it over an instant reflective river. You can if you want add river banks with flock grass tufts and rocks cheap easy and looks great.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.