Help support TMP

"28mm Carousel" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

457 hits since 11 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian11 Jun 2018 5:46 p.m. PST

Would you want a Merry-Go-Round in 28mm scale?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2018 6:13 p.m. PST

No

Extrabio1947 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2018 6:32 p.m. PST

That would be wonderful! And a 28mm roller coaster and some bumper cars as well. A Tilt-A-Whirl would also be nice, but only if it came with a figure losing the corn dog it stuffed down 5 minutes before.

Zombieland, anybody?

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2018 7:31 p.m. PST

I need one to be dark carnival for my 3d arkham horror game.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2018 7:35 p.m. PST

No, but I am sure the model railroading community has plenty of carnival rides if I ever feel the need.

Dennis Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2018 9:03 p.m. PST

"Would you want a Merry-Go-Round in 28mm scale?"

You mean like this:

link

More here:

link

Dennis

Cyrus the Great11 Jun 2018 9:04 p.m. PST

When I ride it backwards, I'll become younger. Right Mr. Dark?

Dynaman878912 Jun 2018 5:05 a.m. PST

It would work great for a Zombie outbreak at an amusement park.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Jun 2018 5:41 a.m. PST

Carousels are hard to build for wargaming. A few things come into conflict:

* Unless it's the kiddie park toddler carousel, you really want two circles of mounts.

* You also want a base-width track in the center and between the two rings so figures can dodge all around the mounts, otherwise it's just a big blocking cylinder with a few alcoves.

* A realistic density of mounts is very difficult to get base space.

* Without the roof on, it just looks wrong. So above access for all the fiddly little bits and constrained areas is off the table.

The best compromise I have found is to make the mounts with flats and make sure they are all raised up enough to easily get bases under the mounts to facilitate access. And the roof ends up being higher than you expect, but that really facilitates access. And it has to turn … motorization optional.

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2018 8:56 a.m. PST

No

Heisler12 Jun 2018 11:32 a.m. PST

In a heartbeat. Of course my Dad has carved enough houses and animals to actually build a small carousel. The smallest carousel would house about 12 horses or animals. That would be a single row and probably without any jumpers (the ones that go up and down) just standers. The largest I have seen is 15 rows of 4 horses + 3 rows of chariots so a total of 18 rows, 3 chariots and 60 horses (15 Standers on the outside + 30 jumpers in the center rows and 15 standers on the inner row). It would be a fun project, probably not all that useful for a game but you never know. Steam powered carousels date back to about 1860 and hand or pony powered versions existed before that.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Jun 2018 6:10 a.m. PST

Steam powered carousels date back to about 1860 and hand or pony powered versions existed before that.

That is great info! Thanks!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.