Help support TMP

"III Corps at Wagram" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

779 hits since 7 Jun 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

forwardmarchstudios07 Jun 2018 2:26 a.m. PST

Here's a quick shot at my new way of doing 2mm Napoleonics:

picture

picture

picture

picture

It only took me a year and a half of R&D to come up with all of this!

holdit07 Jun 2018 3:13 a.m. PST

Great work!

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 5:32 a.m. PST

Looks nice. The village is quite good. I just wonder, (not yet been there but maybe next year) if your house are not too urban for the center pic? But maybe Wien or Abensberg?
I have all Wagram in 15mm. Obviously only 2-4 buildings per village though.

forwardmarchstudios07 Jun 2018 7:59 a.m. PST

Hi,
The town picture and battle-pictures here are not actually Wagram; only the picture of III Corps. I'm just sort of showing off the generally style in which I'm going to do the Wagram battle!

forwardmarchstudios07 Jun 2018 7:59 a.m. PST

The little L-shaped buildings are accuratefor most of the villages around Wagram, however. That's what they were invented for. They're in scale to my 2mm figures.

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 9:18 a.m. PST

What ground scale?

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 9:56 a.m. PST

18 months doesn't seem unreasonable, considering the effectiveness of the final result. Nice work.

forwardmarchstudios07 Jun 2018 10:20 a.m. PST

My answer got eaten…
Its in exact 2mm; 1mm = 3 feet. Everything is at exactly that scale; you can do 400 figure cavalry regiments the exactly correct frontage at the scale and see every horse. The infantry should all print up identifiable as individuals (depends on the printer though). Each gun is the proper length. Buildings are all in the same scale, so you can create 1:1 towns, cities and armies. You could do Waterloo and show every man, gun, and horse exactly where he was supposed to be.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 11:28 a.m. PST

Removing figures to track casualties must be really hard. grin

Is the gridded cutting mat just a convenient surface for displaying the 3D items, or is it actually being used somehow in the gaming?

- Ix

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 1:32 p.m. PST

Luckily you don't have to remove single figures. Instead, you remove a block of 144 figures and replace it with another, smaller block, of 143. Then 142, then 141 and so on.

Why yes, I sell 3D printer filament, why do you ask?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 1:32 p.m. PST

P.S. That is wicked cool!

Personal logo Florida Tory Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 2:52 p.m. PST

Extra Crispy for the win!

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP07 Jun 2018 11:44 p.m. PST

So in 2mm you end up needing 12m x18m terrain! Gottverdamnt! Morbleu!

forwardmarchstudios07 Jun 2018 11:52 p.m. PST

Glad you guys like them! Check out the site!
Yellow Admiral- The mat is just a cool backdrop for displaying the figures; it sort of reinforces the whole "1:1 accuracy" feature of the range. That said, I only picked it out because I was looking for a work surface.. but now I only use it for taking pictures…

JCFrog: Depending how you want to set it out, yes. I'm working on a battalion level Leipzig project where the table will be about 10 feet across. Players will use croupiers sticks to slide the figures around over top of plexiglas, such as in the pictures above. In that game, 1' will equal 1km, and the average French/Russian/Prussian battalion will roughly 30mm in frontage (single piece battalions, just to keep things sane). I've already got 240 French battalions ready to go, and 50 Austrian battalions. The final game will have nearly 1000 units. Leipzig has been done before, bit I'm going to do it all on one contiguous map, which to my knowledge is unprecedented.

Extra Crispy- glad you like it! BTW, all of my buildings can be printed out at an increased size, which means they can be used for 3mm and 6mm without making any changes to the models. Just scale them up.

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP08 Jun 2018 2:56 a.m. PST

Croupiers sticks!
Beware the games police will show up!
Maybe you can start bets on dice rolls to allow an additional+1?
Must be something!
In All 2-3 mm sets I saw, it was the terrain and general show that made or killed the thing. It can be astonishing.

forwardmarchstudios08 Jun 2018 11:38 a.m. PST

I agree- I use a lot of tricks I learned with 3mm Oddzial Osmy figs for my 2mm stuff. I sort of see the game board as a field of information, and Im trying to convey the information as attractively as possible. It also has a lot of game play potential. Using plexiglass as a game surface lets you incorporate a lot more detail onto your map than you could on a table top with 3d terrain. You can jot down where fords are, what can cross a ford at a particular point, the defensive values of BUAs, etc. Im working on rules that incorporate the potential of a fluid game surface- I think there is a lot of potential in the idea.

Lieutenant Lockwood08 Jun 2018 1:55 p.m. PST

I am such a fan of this scale. Dang but that is COOL.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.