Help support TMP

"George Washington's Beer is Back" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

735 hits since 1 May 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian01 May 2018 5:29 p.m. PST

Budweiser has revealed its newest addition to the Reserve Collection a Freedom Reserve Red Lager inspired by a recipe handwritten by first president George Washington…

link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2018 5:37 p.m. PST

After he drank it? No thanks! :)

Sounds like something out of SNL, about a case of Zima that is drank twice.

Dan

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2018 5:46 p.m. PST

I'm still waiting for Billy Beer to come back!

Also of historic note, and tastier than beer (especially Billly's), Laird's Applejack recipe is the one that George borrowed for making his own.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2018 6:06 p.m. PST

Budweiser ? No thanks, I'm more of a beer drinker….

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2018 10:18 p.m. PST

I'll try it.
But where are Eureka's and Perry's Washington Crossing the Delaware sets?

I bought a 6 pack of Billy Beer once in South Carolina. Darned if I remember what it tasted like.

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 4:37 a.m. PST

The last one in this series did very well at our store. I'm not so sure about this one and feel the marketing is a little over reaching.

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 8:40 a.m. PST

Billy Beer was actually pretty foul.

Truth to tell, I'ld really just like to have a Billy Beer beer coozy to camouflage a can of better beer than Billy Beer!

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 12:12 p.m. PST

Budweiser no.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 1:33 p.m. PST

Budweiser is fine when it's free.

Mick the Metalsmith Inactive Member02 May 2018 3:54 p.m. PST

Budweiser: It's like sex on a boat, too effin' close to water. My German friends drank it AS water. This Washington recipe, I doubt they follow it at all, just slap a label on their normal rice and corn beer and wow the wuffos. If you want good experimental ancient recipes recreated…dogfish head has had some great forays.

Personal logo jhancock Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 7:21 p.m. PST

Hint of molasses is hardly the same as brewed with molasses. Tasted a Porter brewed exactly from Wasington's favorite recipe using only molasses for the sweetener and it was good! George bought it from a Philly brewer back in the day.

dantheman Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 7:27 p.m. PST

Hard cider was big in Colonial times. Nobody has a decent historical brew for that one. Still waiting….

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2018 8:34 p.m. PST

Dantheman, there are a lot of good ciders made with heirloom apples if you go hunting! Colonial recipes were farmhouse-specific as everyone largely had whatever random apples grew from seedlings. Newtown Pippins were one of the early popular apples that were shared.

A good authentic blend will have some crab-apples mixed in too. They were often used as pollinators in the orchards, and were good for adjusting the flavour if the farm had a lot of spitters that only went into the cider!

As I loathe IPA's which is about all that craft beer brewers can think of, I'm very delighted that the Craft Cider market is taking off.

: 3

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2018 3:54 a.m. PST

dantheman
Come on up to New York where Ciderys abound.
Check out this one
aaronburrcider.com

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2018 4:30 a.m. PST

Drank this last night. It was as to be expected. I won't apply it against my calorie or alcohol allotment again unless I have to.

spontoon11 May 2018 9:34 a.m. PST

Got to agree with 20th. Maine!!!

dantheman Supporting Member of TMP13 May 2018 12:08 p.m. PST

Thanks for cider hints, more welcome. There was a cider mill near my house during the AWI. During the battle of the Short Hills, the British drank some, took what was left, and destroyed the mill. All we got left now is a stupid road (Lambert's Mill Road) named after it.

95th Division Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2018 6:21 a.m. PST

'Tasted a Porter brewed exactly from Wasington's favorite recipe '
Was that Yards Gen Washington's Tavern Porter?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.