Help support TMP

"Flags of Mysore and the Mahrattas" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Flags and Banners Message Board

330 hits since 16 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mad Malx16 Apr 2018 12:09 p.m. PST

I'm currently working on "exotic" armies for the late 18th Century and Napoleonic wars. I'm slowly putting together the flags I need but I'm having problems finding reference works on the Indian Flags. I've got all of the (Dis)Honourable East India Company flags done from around 1780ish to 1820 and I've managed to find a few for Mysore, The Mahrathas, Mughals, Rajputs, Marwar, Lahore and Sikhs -either from photos of actual flags or period, mainly Indian artwork, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good book on the subject -preferably not "The Encyclopedia of Indian Military Flags from Earliest Times" which appears to be pretty poor on anything pre-British Raj. A really good reference book on what the non-sepoy Indian soldiery wore would be welcome too. I already have the Osprey books on Assay, The HEIC, Plassey, Mughals etc and Mollo on the EIC.

jurgenation Supporting Member of TMP16 Apr 2018 1:58 p.m. PST

,,when you find one ..let me know..I just just the Princely India states flagswebsite.

Mad Malx16 Apr 2018 2:06 p.m. PST

Hi Jurgen! We've talked on FB! I've got some from the Princely States website and the World Statesman site too.[URL=http://s676.photobucket.com/user/malc55-photos/media/Wargames%20Flags/Mysore%20banners%203small.jpg.html]

[/URL]these are some of the latest ones with Tippoo's French corps on it. Hope the link works

Durban Gamer17 Apr 2018 8:10 a.m. PST

Couldn't get photobucket to open and am also researching this. Could to see Tippoo's French Corps flag.

It seems main difference in appearance of Mysore and Maratha armies is in the flags. Marathas liked brown or orange flags with a wheel-like symbol of the sun for war flags. The turbans for both armies seem to be fairly similar? I suspect better uniformed Maratha units may have favoured orange turbans (their colour of war and bravery). As opposed to pinkish red turbans of some Mysore units. Both had elite grenadier sepoy units imitating those of the British forces.

Mad Malx18 Apr 2018 1:11 p.m. PST

DELETED

Mad Malx18 Apr 2018 1:24 p.m. PST

Seems to have worked! These are the general Rajput ones, [URL=http://s676.photobucket.com/user/malc55-photos/media/Wargames%20Flags/rajput%20flags.png.html]

[/URL]
Lahore,
picture

Mewar/Marwarhttp://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/malc55-photos/Wargames%20Flags/Mewari%20flags.png
Bengal,
picture

Mad Malx18 Apr 2018 1:46 p.m. PST

These are taken from actual flags, drawings in books or from period paintings, Indian and European. On the East Indian ones I've varied the colours. Most flags I've seen seem to be based more on the flags of "Princely States" than anything else. I'm also waiting to hear from a chap down in London who is going to try to send me photos of an MS on the flags in Chelsea Hospital.
Uniform wise I've found that there were a wide range of "Tiger stripes" the "bubris" of the Mysorean regulars. The diamond pattern may be purely a European's eye view of them. It seems to me the tunic colour within a Risala though turban and Sash colours could vary a lot. Again I'm basing this on period paintings. I also have the flags for all the HEIC battalions from around 1785ish to 1820.

Mad Malx19 Apr 2018 5:23 a.m. PST

DELETED

Mad Malx19 Apr 2018 5:29 a.m. PST

Yet another try! Mysore first.

link
That might have done it!! Can you see just see this one Durban Gamer or the whole album??

wangrin19 Apr 2018 6:51 a.m. PST

Some pictures and coins representing possible Mysorean flags : link

You will find some informations about Mysorean army here : link

Mad Malx19 Apr 2018 7:04 a.m. PST

Thanks Wangrin, I have some of these.Does my link work? I saw some of your work on the Total War forum -very nice indeed! You mention the "Encyclopaedia of Indian Military Systems" there. is there actually anything about dress or flags in it? I've found I can access it through the British Library but it will take an hours drive each way so it's not something to do if the books aren't worth it!

Durban Gamer22 Apr 2018 6:29 a.m. PST

HI Malx. Thanks for your trouble in kindly trying again. Alas, the link just gives an outdated item message and sends me on to join something that I couldn't manage all the hoops of.

Wangrin your links opened easily. Very interesting to see that the 2 flags/sides are in that deep pinkish red shown for turbans of Mysore regular infantry. One source I read reckoned that Indian army flags gradually went from triangle shape 17th century, to rectangle shape slowly coming in 18th century, in imitation of the successful European military style.

Mad Malx22 Apr 2018 1:35 p.m. PST

Don't know what else to try. PM me and I'll try and send them direct to you. I've got the crimson silk flag Wangrin put on done as a printable flag. I believe it's actually from Lahore though I'm not sure whether it's Sikh or Hindi with having the god on it. How did you do your link Wangrin?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.