Help support TMP


"Force on Force helicopter question" Topic


4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the Ultramodern Gaming (2008-present) Message Board

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2007) Message Board



446 hits since 15 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Joe Legan Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2018 9:35 a.m. PST

If your side gets a helicopter either by scenario guidelines or by fow card do you have to roll on the " Air strike effectiveness table"? The rules imply that you do but the language in the section talks about fast burners and airstrikes.
In the published scenario I am playing the US gets a supercobra and the Iraqis a shoulder fired SAM. AD is medium. If I use that table there is little chance of the cobra making it onto the board.

Thanks

Joe

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2018 4:37 p.m. PST

Joe,

Haven't played much with helos, but as I read it, you would have to use the table to determine if the helo made it through the Medium AD to get to the tabletop. Remember to use the pilot's TQ die to roll (D8 if not listed in the scenario), and I would use the Agile Aircraft (+1) for helos. Also, if you attack with a pop-up attack (pg 105 in the FoF rule book), you get another +1.

So, assuming a D8 pilot, that gives you a 62.5% chance for a Good Attack, a 12.5% chance for a 1/2 Strike, and 25% chance for things to go wrong. Not too shabby, considering how powerful a helo attack can be!

Mike

Joe Legan Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2018 6:49 p.m. PST

Mike,

Thanks. I was using -1 for slow aircraft and forgot about pop ups. Your way makes more sense. I don't use 1/2 strike as that is too gamey for me. I just give an increase chance of scatter for bombs/missiles ( yes had to develop my own scatter rules) or -2 die for strafing.
I rolled for the Cobra and got a "1" modified to a "3" so it was too hot for the Cobra to make it in. Okay, huge blow to the marines as the Iraqis have 2 T72 tanks but I could see that happening. Two reactions later draw a FOW card for the marines and it is for an Abrams tank! Justice does occur. I love these rules.
Thanks again

Joe

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP16 Apr 2018 7:05 a.m. PST

Glad I could be of assistance. Yeah, the 1/2 strike is kind of gamey.

I really like them, too, for just the right level of detail and random events that can really challenge players.

Mike

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.