Help support TMP

"20mm - 1/72nd compatability" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

625 hits since 12 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Major Bloodnok12 Apr 2018 9:27 a.m. PST

I am looking for some 20mm or small 25mm figs that are compatible with 1/72nd scale HaT plastics. I am looking for French amd Russian command figs 1790s-1805 range. How do AB's 18mm range stack up to 20mm? Thanks!

von Winterfeldt12 Apr 2018 9:48 a.m. PST

AB won't work

BillyNM12 Apr 2018 10:11 a.m. PST

Have you tried Hagen?

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2018 10:11 a.m. PST

Other lines are of plastic figures are your best bet. Invest some research time on plasticsoldierreview.com. Italeri, Strelets and Zvezda made some command packs that might have officers you're looking for.

There are some metal figures that should be size and style compatible. Look for other TMP threads about 20mm Napoleonics manufacturers, like this one: TMP link

I'm pretty sure Newline and Irregular 20mm figures should be roughly compatible in style and proportions (I'm nearly certain some of the Napoleonics armies I've played with had these mixed in), but I don't own any, so can't verify.

In general, metal figures tend to be chunkier than plastics, at least in the Napoleonics genre, though that might not matter if all the officers are metal and the troops are plastic.

- Ix

C M DODSON12 Apr 2018 10:38 a.m. PST

Schilling, Hagen, Art Miniturian are all compatable in size.

Chris

bruntonboy12 Apr 2018 11:05 a.m. PST

Newline should fit the bill.

von Winterfeldt12 Apr 2018 12:18 p.m. PST

Franznap as well, superb miniatures

Texas Jack12 Apr 2018 1:55 p.m. PST

Another vote for Newline

photocrinch Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2018 8:00 p.m. PST

Newline is great, but just a hair smaller than newer 1/72 plastics. I have found art miniaturen a nice, but pricey fit. Zvevda plastics are fantastic if they have what you want.

Green Tiger12 Apr 2018 11:54 p.m. PST

There is also the old Kennington range now sold by SHQ. The metal figures generally tend to be a bit smaller than th eplastic ones but there is a massive variance in the size of plastic figures too so I just keep them in seperate units.

4th Cuirassier13 Apr 2018 4:07 a.m. PST

Newline work well with Airfix FWIW. It depends on the comparators, but if the height difference is small, you can often address it by slightly thicker bases.

Major Bloodnok13 Apr 2018 3:00 p.m. PST

I didn't beat the record? Blast! Must do better… Newline & SHQ don't seem to do any French in bicorn, not that I could find anyway, or 1805 Russians. Their Russians seem to be more 1810-1812. Most of the other plastic Russians are all in Kiwers. Oh well.

heavyhorse Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2018 3:58 p.m. PST

I have some older RSM 1805 Russians and French in Bicornes unpainted as well as painted ..If your interested Major email me at heavyhorse14@gmail.com Don

Marc the plastics fan14 Apr 2018 1:39 a.m. PST

I have found Newline to be too small. SHQ/Kennington are far better. But any of the continental suppliers make great figures – Franznap, Hagen and Art Miniaturen. And Hagen offer a design and mound service for unique figures, where you pay up front to design, but they then add it to the range and you earn royalties.

But there is a distinct lack of early war Naps in 1/72. Italeri did some early stuff, and I think Red Box have some early Russians coming. But it is a sparsely populated period.

Good luck

Marc

Digby Green14 Apr 2018 12:15 p.m. PST

Slightly off topic.
But as an early Airfix Napoleonic wargamer I was always annoyed that the French Imperial Guard and the Prussians (Landwher) were visibly smaller.
Was this just to save plastic?

Major Bloodnok14 Apr 2018 2:09 p.m. PST

It may have been a different designer or possible deliberate, but the same goes for HaT. HaT's 1805 French Leger and Grenadiers are smaller than the line infantry. Tant pis.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.