Help support TMP

"Smock or no smock for market garden Germans. " Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

753 hits since 6 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 12:35 p.m. PST

Thinking specifically about those Germans fighting American airborne and XXX Corps.

Apperantly finding none smocked Germans with prone mg is hard.i don't want my MG'r to just stand or sit around. They'll have to work for their money.
But since at least three companies make smocked MG'rs. It would be easier if you all just said yes the Germans had smocks at market garden.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 12:43 p.m. PST

In at least a couple of pictures from the period I have seen German infantry in a mixture of smocks and non-smocks, so I would say you are OK

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 2:10 p.m. PST

The Germans at Market Garden were a hastily thrown together ad hoc mix of units.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Afrika Korps figures would be acceptable, though.

Fred Cartwright06 Apr 2018 2:49 p.m. PST

What scale figures are you looking for?

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 2:49 p.m. PST

Well now I just have to figure out how to paint the damn things.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 2:57 p.m. PST

28mm

deephorse06 Apr 2018 3:25 p.m. PST

I was going to suggest a manufacturer for prone, tunic wearing German MG teams, but then you went and spoilt it all by going 28mm!

Fred Cartwright06 Apr 2018 3:31 p.m. PST

Brigade Games have some prone MG teams in their Disposable Heroes range. These are late war figures in ankle boots, but no smocks. Nice sculpts too. They did a Kickstarter for these, but are now up on the website for sale.
There are no pictures on the website, but there are pics on the KS page including painted examples and comparison shots with other ranges of 28mm figures.

wrgmr106 Apr 2018 3:53 p.m. PST

There were various German formations fighting against the Allies during Market Garden.
Fallschirmjager
Wehrmacht
SS
Training battalions

Lots of uniform types to choose from.

link

link

Nick Stern Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 4:32 p.m. PST

Don't forget to paint some of the field grey tunic wearing figures' trousers cammo too.

Martin Rapier06 Apr 2018 9:00 p.m. PST

"I wouldn't go so far as to say that Afrika Korps figures would be acceptable, though."

The penal battalion with KG Waltger were in tropical uniforms. So yes, you can use Afrika Korps figures.

Along with the various more normal fighting units there were Luftwaffe ground crews and a naval observation battalion, so you can field German sailors as well.

The SS divisions were a bit of a ragtag, some in smocks some not, but MG is an excuse to field every uniform combo you ever dreamed of, including FJ in Heer helmets.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP07 Apr 2018 12:38 p.m. PST

Just what cammo patern would heer soldiers use?

wrgmr108 Apr 2018 5:44 p.m. PST

Here are some excellent painting guides.

link

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2018 1:19 a.m. PST

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.