Help support TMP

"Portuguese Artillery" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

528 hits since 6 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

El Lobo06 Apr 2018 11:14 a.m. PST

Did the Portuguese Artillery wear a white berritina shako with white cords and black plume at anytime in the Peninsular war?Brought up in a conversation, but never seen any evidence to confirm,can you help.( Sorry if my spelling is wrong).Thanks in advance.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 11:35 a.m. PST

Artillery in anything white?

I know nothing about this, but I do know one thing.

Every country in Europe dressed its artillery in dark colours (almost universally dark blue or Green…OK Austrians maybe…) for a very good reason.

That lovely blue of Bavarian infantry, the redcoats of England, Saxon white, the Spaniards in every colour of the rainbow….but their gunners……..

Dark colours, dark facings, for a very good reason….

Unless a drummer or musician????? Could that be it?

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 11:44 a.m. PST

Why, deadhead. Are you suggesting that gunners get covered in sh…er, muck?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 12:03 p.m. PST

I were thinking more of 't black stuff. Soot! Couple 'ut rounds and yon lads'll look like 't sweeps, as Mercer said.

(Cavalry's job is to wallow in muck and bullets)

But he knew nowt, did Mercer. I have me doubts 'e were even there on't big day, ( I have many an original primary source, which I will divulge in exchange for your bank details).

But he told a good tale 'e did and he did sell his book. Summat rum about his yarn, but a great line spinner nonetheless.

And he weren't no Portuguese, neither, so I must not hijack this thread (four negatives in one sentence……..)

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 12:39 p.m. PST

Could the other person misinterpreted a white or linen shako cover for the color of the actual shako?

Artilleryman06 Apr 2018 2:53 p.m. PST

I am sure that the Portuguese artillery wore black, uncovered shakos.

By the way, a very old term for a gunner in the British Army was a 'Black'. Even working on modern guns covers the crew in muck.

El Lobo09 Apr 2018 12:12 p.m. PST

Thanks for all your help and advice thought it was too good to be true, would of made a lovely unit on the table.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.