Help support TMP

"Game changer in the Middle East" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

Action Log

03 Apr 2018 3:51 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Ultramodern Gaming (2006-present) board
  • Crossposted to Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) board

1,024 hits since 2 Apr 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2018 1:56 p.m. PST

This is bound to cause some shock waves.

link

Wherethestreetshavnoname03 Apr 2018 3:41 p.m. PST

Saudi Arabia is predominantly Sunni, Iran is predominantly Shi'a.

Cacique Caribe03 Apr 2018 4:57 p.m. PST

LOL. Well, that is certainly going to make a lot of religious fanatics call for a Jihad, to protect the holy sites in Arabia from the Israel-loving "apostates".

And it's going to make a lot of key powerful people in the US very angry too. Ha! And those who think that all change must come via bloody revolutions and violent class wars.

This is definitely going to get very interesting indeed. And Prince Mohammed bin Salman better double his bodyguard.

Dan

Dn Jackson03 Apr 2018 5:07 p.m. PST

Wow, that's a total change from just a few years ago. Makes me hold out a sliver of hope for an end to the Arab-Israeli wars.

28mm Fanatik03 Apr 2018 8:17 p.m. PST

I'll file this under "I'll believe it when I see it." Talk is cheap. Egypt and Israel made peace in the last century so it's definitely possible, though it cost Sadat his life and Egypt is more secular than most muslim states.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2018 8:22 p.m. PST

How many "Crown Princes" have there been in the past 10 years?
It's not exactly a job with high retention.
But I'm wishing him well.
Hope he didn't make too many billionaire enemies lately.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2018 8:33 p.m. PST

It's too late for April Fool's, right?

Talk is cheap.

Those are pretty damned pricey words for someone in his shoes.

Cacique Caribe03 Apr 2018 10:20 p.m. PST

Beast

I dunno about their shoes, but their toilets are golden.

Dan

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2018 10:42 p.m. PST

Opulence can never reach ridiculous levels, right?

The Saudis have been resting their weighty backsides on the political fence for decades. For him to say this- plain and outright, with examples and everything- is a huge step.

Not rocking the boat has worked pretty well for them so far. I'd love to see a bit of altruism among the Arabic leadership. And one calling another out on pissing away (dirty) money on nothing Google Earth can spot gets a big thumbs up from me.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP04 Apr 2018 6:00 a.m. PST

From what I understand his "reforms" are mainly aimed at cosying up with the US and build up alliances as it's clear that all hope to see Syria fall apart completely evaporated, Iran is quite close to getting nukes, the Saudi economy is teetering on the edge of the abyss and the religious crowd is starting to speak out openly against the House of Saud as being the latest big satan.

Internal repression has reached levels that would make the Khmer Rouge blush and North Koreans feel grateful for the Kim family.

Military spending has gone through the roof and the Saudi have been reinforcing their national guard so much they now seriously outgun the regular army.

The Salafists have long been a thorn in the side and it seems they are going to attempt to use the threat of IS and AQ to break their power once and for all and push Sunni Islam in line with the leadership.

But ironically both the ultra-religious and the crown prince seem to share the same basic idea, that the Middle-East is now on the verge of the great Sunni-Shi'a war and decide once and for all who remains standing.

The Middle East is going to be an interesting place in the coming years and IS and AQ will seem like a joke in comparison of what may yet come …

Cacique Caribe04 Apr 2018 12:52 p.m. PST

Patrick: "But ironically both the ultra-religious and the crown prince seem to share the same basic idea, that the Middle-East is now on the verge of the great Sunni-Shi'a war and decide once and for all who remains standing."

Iranian sources seem to think this great confrontation is going to take place on or before 2030. I have no idea if that was an arbitrary date pulled out of a hat, or something that came from one of their ayatollahs.

Dan

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2018 1:29 p.m. PST

If the North Koreans have nukes, then so does Iran. After all, Iran paid for the research and development. grin
Just like Saudi Arabia bankrolled Pakistan's nukes. So, if needed, they're sitting at a Pakistani air base with special stickers on them.

The only reason the Saudis or Iranians haven't used nukes, yet, is because they know the other side has them.

Lion in the Stars06 Apr 2018 4:58 p.m. PST

About time the Muslims had their 30-Years War… (with attendant baggage of "it's OK to live and let live!")

Lost Wolf06 Apr 2018 7:33 p.m. PST

Whoa! Next announcement will be Saudia Arabia allowing Christians in their land to have churches

USAFpilot07 Apr 2018 3:28 p.m. PST

Just a few years ago women were not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia.

America has become energy independent and no longer needs Saudi oil.

The world has changed and the Saudi leadership recognizes they need to change also if they are to survive.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.