Help support TMP

"Friedland 1807 " Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

1,101 hits since 27 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0127 Mar 2018 12:08 p.m. PST

"There's an ancient trick to catching a monkey. The trap is simple and takes advantage of the monkey's greed. A small hole is drilled into a hollow gourd, just large enough for the monkey to slip his hand in if the fingers are extended. Irresistible treats are put into the gourd and it is tied firmly to the trunk of tree. The curious monkey comes down from the trees, smells the treats inside the gourd, and slips his hand in to grab a fistful. But he can't pull his hand out unless he relaxes his fist and drops the treats, which he won't do. At least the stupidest and greediest of monkeys won't. This pretty much sums up how Napoleon caught the Russians at Friedland.

Friedland was a satisfying culmination for Napoleon to an otherwise miserable campaign. Since his brilliant double victory over the Prussian army at Jena and Auerstadt the year before, he had not been able to knock out Prussia from the war, and the Russians wouldn't quit. Battle after battle had been some of the bloodiest Napoleon had ever fought, and still each ended in a draw. Then at last came Friedland. As with my other articles, while Friedland may not be obscure to Napoleonophiles, it has always been dear to my heart as battles go, and I wanted to do a map and commentary on it…"

picture

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

photocrinch Supporting Member of TMP27 Mar 2018 6:07 p.m. PST

Enjoyed reading the linked article. Thanks Tango.

Navy Fower Wun Seven28 Mar 2018 3:02 a.m. PST

Thanks Armand – a great resource from a superb blog!

Tango0128 Mar 2018 12:16 p.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friends!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

eldorado28 Mar 2018 2:39 p.m. PST

Good read, great resource and the map(s) are fantastic. How are you doing those maps!

Beloved Leader28 Mar 2018 5:20 p.m. PST

Thank you for linking to my blog, Armand. I sure appreciate the appreciation. To answer eldorado's question about how I do the maps, I use original sources as a starting point, then overlay them onto Google maps satellite views, and render them in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. They take about six weeks to complete.

Stoppage29 Mar 2018 2:25 a.m. PST

Beloved Leader

I furiously applaud glorious effort whilst weeping sincere tears of joy

Greystreak29 Mar 2018 5:15 a.m. PST

Interesting to see the absence (from References) of one of the best and most recent English language studies, James R. Arnold & Ralph R. Reinertsen, Napoleon's Triumph: Le Grande Armée versus the Tsar's Army,the Frieldland Campaign 1807, 2011; ISBN 978-0-9670985-4-8. Should Jeff Berry ever acquire this book, it would be interesting to learn his views.

Tango0129 Mar 2018 11:31 a.m. PST

A votre service mon cher ami!… (smile)

And congrats for your great work!!

Amicalement
Armand

MarbotsChasseurs29 Mar 2018 11:45 a.m. PST

Beloved Leader,

I see that you have 4 regiments in white uniforms. I know the 3rd, 15th, 27th white uniforms, but I did not know 32nd Line wore them in the field. I have seen Knotels voltigeur of the 32 line. Did you have any other uniform pictures on the 32e Line in white uniforms? I have followed your blog for awhile and look forward to your next battle.

Michael

Osage201729 Mar 2018 2:02 p.m. PST

FANTASTIC map !

One of the best ever !

Amazing detail, down to battalion, squadron, and single gun.
And is so beautiful.

Beloved Leader29 Mar 2018 5:31 p.m. PST

Hello, Michael. Yes, about the 32nd officially being outfitted in white coats. Collected this from the Osprey volume on French Line Infantry (in my references). Here too is a link to an online source on Napoleonic uniforms:

link …>

"In 1806 as a result of the British naval blockade there was a shortage of indigo used for dyeing cloth and so Napoleon ordered the introduction of a white uniform for his line infantry. According to Decree of April 25th 1806 the following regiments of line infantry were assigned white coats: 3rd, 4th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 24th, 25th, 27th, 28th, 32nd, 33rd, 34th and 36th Line. (Journal Militaire Vol I 1806, pp 176-178)
The next decree mentioned all line regiments. "

However, there is some dispute about whether all of the authorized regiments donned the white coats in time for this campaign. And the Funckens leave out the 32nd in their 1968 edition (the one on my shelves).

MarbotsChasseurs30 Mar 2018 4:04 a.m. PST

BL,

Thank you! Any chance we could get a close of picture of a french battalion? Whenever you create diagrams with how the formations looked such as the Austrians in 1805 it is always amazing.

Thank you,
Michael

Tango0130 Mar 2018 10:40 a.m. PST

Mon ami… of possible interest?

link

link

link

link

Amicalement
Armand

C M DODSON30 Mar 2018 11:18 a.m. PST

Fantastic reference in the same vein as Aspern Essling.

I love the clarity of the maps.

Thank you.

Chris

Stoppage30 Mar 2018 3:58 p.m. PST

Actually (after wiping away the tears-of-joy and assuaging my stinging hands) this is a great example of the basically SYW Russian set-up (Cordon foot deployment with flanking-horse) compared with the very sparse French set-up – see the open-order deployments occupying a lot of frontage.

Interesting to see the Russian position batteries on the heights – no where else to park them I suppose

Beloved Leader30 Mar 2018 6:26 p.m. PST

Michael, ask and ye shall receive. I updated the post with a graphic showing how a French battalion deployed to Line from Column of Attack.

MarbotsChasseurs31 Mar 2018 5:26 a.m. PST

BL,

Such a great graphic! The 1806-1807 is my favorite campaign with a close second the 1809 campaign pre-Aspern-Essling. You have done an amazing job! Just wanted to throw out there a great battle using your very detailed maps would be Battle of Saalfeld 1806. I use to belong to a computer gaming group called mastersofthefield and the best looking map was Saalfeld link

Keep doing a great job!
Michael

Beloved Leader31 Mar 2018 11:58 a.m. PST

Thank you, Michael. I'm familiar with Saalfield. It is definitely an obscure one. I'll look into it. I think I already have the OOBs for it.

I do, though, like to jump around in periods, to keep my interest open. And also depending on what I'm reading at the moment. I've started to do work on the Zulu War of 1879 (a coda to my post on Gqokli Hill 1817).

evilgong31 Mar 2018 4:38 p.m. PST

Superb map and info.

David F Brown

HappyHussar31 Mar 2018 6:07 p.m. PST

You should be doing maps for authors. Their maps (especially James Arnold's in his two books on the 1806-07 Polish campaign) are awful. Dark, hard to read, lacking nice detail. You did a wonderful job on this map.

Night Owl III01 Apr 2018 2:40 p.m. PST

The link I followed is to one of the best blog posts I believe I've ever seen. Well done Mr. Berry!

Beloved Leader02 Apr 2018 11:44 a.m. PST

Thank you all, for your glowing praise. I do love doing these. And I'm very proud of the maps, which are a labor of love.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.