Help support TMP

"40K Index Question" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

438 hits since 6 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Onomarchos Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:07 p.m. PST

So one of the guys in the D&D group that I DM wants to get into 8th Edition. The last time I played 40K was during 3rd Edition.

The question we have concerns the various Index books. Do armies developed from these Index books remain valid even after the Codex for that army is released?

Mark

PatrickWR06 Mar 2018 8:13 p.m. PST

It really depends on how you want to play the game. Typically, armies that appeared in an index are then replaced when their codex is released. But if you're just going to play with your friends or a small group, and everyone wants to just use the index, that should work just fine.

Onomarchos Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:21 p.m. PST

I should have been more clear. They want to play in GW sanctioned tournaments. So, for example, would a Craftworlds list from the Index: Xenos 1 be legal now that the Craftworlds Codex is out.

Centurio Prime06 Mar 2018 8:25 p.m. PST

If there is a Codex, you must use the unit entries for that in the tournaments. In some rare cases there may not be stats for an old model (usually due to a particular loadout of weapons) in the codex. In that case you may use the Index entry. But yes, you will need the codex if its out.

Insomniac07 Mar 2018 1:04 a.m. PST

For example, in codex Astra Militarum, there is no entry for Rough Riders any more so people are using the Codex for their army but adding Rough Riders from the Index (because there are no 'codex' rules for them any more).

MiniatureReview07 Mar 2018 6:07 a.m. PST

Just use the program Battlescribe. It has almost all the codex/index information and it's free.

Onomarchos Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2018 10:13 a.m. PST

OK, thanks for the info. I knew that being able to buy $20 USD books that contained several armies was too good to be true.

MR, I did get Battlescribe. It is great, but it does not look like it contains the stratagems, etc.

Mark

Centurio Prime07 Mar 2018 7:55 p.m. PST

The indexes were necessary because of the drastic change in the rules from 7th to 8th ed. In a non tournament game you could use them against most people, but you would miss out on some special rules, additional psychic powers, strategems etc for your faction.

PatrickWR15 Mar 2018 7:25 p.m. PST

Just circling back to this thread. Yes, as others have pointed out -- if you want to play in tournaments, you'll need the codices. Yet another reason why I enjoy the game but don't play in tournaments!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.