Help support TMP

"Grenadier Gunfighters?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to The Old West Message Board

652 hits since 6 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Lluis of Minairons Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:33 a.m. PST

I came upon the miniatures below as a result of a commission from a friend who had them for a long time. Not any masterly painted pieces, but decent enough job IMHO.

Does anyone know how old are these miniatures?

Lluís

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:37 a.m. PST

1980's

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 9:34 a.m. PST

They look well painted to me. The boxed sets came out around 1980 or so, and (IIRC) individual figures were sold before that.

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 11:15 a.m. PST

You cat still get them here.
link

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 11:34 a.m. PST

The paint jobs flatter them. I had them, but ditched all but Bandito Pequeno and the gent with the cane and Derringer. The rest are pretty gawky-looking. And I was even having real problems trying to find suitable large minis to scale with my collection of (huge) Pinnacle "Rail Wars" minis.

Personal logo chicklewis Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 12:08 p.m. PST

Agree with Beast R.

I bought 'em almost 40 years ago, but the poses are so stiff and wooden, and the legs so LOOOOOONG on some of them, that only a couple ever were painted. I do not believe they were ever sold separately.

John Leahy06 Mar 2018 12:15 p.m. PST

That was the second box set of Gunfighters they released. I have the first. It was much better than the 1st set.

Personal logo Lluis of Minairons Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 11:37 p.m. PST

Anyway, sculpts were well detailed and crispy, so making easy the paint job --or that's what it seemed to me, at least.

Thanks for your comments, sirs.

Lluís

Lonkka1Actual06 Mar 2018 11:48 p.m. PST

I really like the dapper with the cane and Derringer -very nice pose!

Darrell B D Day07 Mar 2018 2:57 a.m. PST

The second set were mainly converted from the first. Andy Chernak thought that the first set looked short compared to the increase in size of miniatures from other manufacturers so just lengthened the legs. Hence the rather peculiar leg-length.

DBDD

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2018 8:34 a.m. PST

That's interesting (and shows that we have been dealing with scale creep for decades).

Samurai Elb07 Mar 2018 8:39 a.m. PST

I like the barmaid too. Painted some of the figures on my otherwise at the moment resting Webpage here:

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.