Help support TMP

"Teen Library D&D Keeps Going and Growing" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy RPG Message Board

342 hits since 5 Mar 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2018 2:18 p.m. PST

A few summers ago I convinced my department head to allow me to do An Introduction to Dungeons & Dragons program in our Teen Room.
It has now become an expected summer event at the library, and has sparked several D&D groups. One of these groups has met every Sunday at our library for three years now. Last year, it spawned a second group, which also meets in the library on Sunday, at the same time, on the other side of the room. This past weekend *another* group showed up on Sunday at the same time. We now have *three* active D&D groups, meeting at the same time every week, in the same room, featuring at least 15 players total. (This does not count other groups that meet at players' homes and schools, spawned by our program.)

My plot to warp the minds of America's youth is proceeding according to plan! MUAHAHAHAHA!

(A shout out to our fellow TMPer Moonbeast, who has generously donated rulebooks, campaign books, dice and more to our Teen Department. They are being put to good use!)

coryfromMissoula05 Mar 2018 3:43 p.m. PST

The growth of D&D 5th ed is amazing.

I was in an advertising seminar last week where the "tabletop gamer" subset of milleninials was being billed as one of the most desirable demographics of current condo buyers.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2018 5:12 p.m. PST

Are these pencil and paper games, or are they using minis?

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 6:53 a.m. PST

One group occasionally uses a mix of paper and plastic minis on a printed grid map of a battle site, or simply on a commercial battlemat with drawn-on dungeon/ terrain. The other two are currently pencil, paper and imagination only.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2018 8:10 a.m. PST

Any interest in branching out to Old West type stuff, or are they pretty happy with D&D?

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2018 3:16 p.m. PST

I think they're pretty happy with D&D, especially as they're all still relatively new to it. I've told them about other genres, and showed them my original copies of Traveller, the library's copy of WEG's Star Wars RPG, but they're sticking with D&D.

There was one group that got into a geeky discussion about Marvel heroes, both comics and film at the end of their session a couple of weeks ago. I may take in my old TSR Marvel Super Heroes RPG just to show them it existed. Too bad it's otherwise hard to find; the FASERIP system was perfect for the Marverl setting and deserves to be still around. But I doubt anyone could afford the Marvel license these days.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.