Help support TMP

"Israel Lost a Jet, but Proved it would Win the War" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

747 hits since 13 Feb 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0113 Feb 2018 12:01 p.m. PST

"It was no surprise when two strategic vectors clashed this weekend on Israel's northern front: The Iranian determination to build an advanced military force in Syria collided with Israeli determination to prevent that from happening.

On a broader strategic level a conflict of this sort was expected, though the timing and tactics were set by the Iranians in the latest round. The context of this particular incident was the Iranian led-axis' rising self-confidence in light of its success in the Syrian civil war, and this led Teheran to field test a new UAV (based on reverse engineering a U.S. model) as well as Israeli air defense by sending the drone into Israeli skies…"
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

zoneofcontrol Inactive Member13 Feb 2018 12:26 p.m. PST

Definitely something to watch. This incident coupled with the joint Russian and Assad incident involving US personnel show an uptick in military/para-military activities. The one ray of hope is that the Iranian/Russian/Assad ventures both went very badly for them and upped the possibility of diplomatic negotiations, if only long enough for them to rearm and resupply. Either way, it should provide a cooling off period in which things could simmer down a little.

Fatman Inactive Member13 Feb 2018 12:50 p.m. PST

Actually the problem is that Israel can, and does, win battles but it cannot win the war. Like America in Vietnam it can go on destroying its enemies infrastructure and military forces but can't make them cry "Enough" and end hostilities.

Fatman

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2018 12:52 p.m. PST

I have a bad feeling that this is going to escalate further.

Dan

28mm Fanatik13 Feb 2018 1:00 p.m. PST

My bet is that it's going to blow over in a matter of days.

Stryderg13 Feb 2018 1:49 p.m. PST

Agree with 28mm. Lots of people will try to draw broad conclusions based on a single incident… here's a hint: at least half of them will be wrong.

TGerritsen14 Feb 2018 2:17 a.m. PST

I don't see the Vietnam parallel at all. Syria borders on Israel while Russia and Iran do not. It's not like some far off war for Israel, but more like keeping the neighbors in line. They have a vested interest whether they want it or not.

Fatman Inactive Member14 Feb 2018 3:21 a.m. PST

The Vietnam comparison was that no matter how successful the IDF is at beating their opponents in the field they cannot make them come to the peace table. Remember Ho Chi Minhs quote "You can kill 10 of my men for every one I kill of yours, yet even at those odds, you will lose and I will win." that is the truth the Israelis face. There is noother comparison between the two conflicts.

Fatman

Tgunner14 Feb 2018 3:25 a.m. PST

Unlike the US they have no where to go. They live there now.

A more accurate line could be, "If you kill 10 of my guys and I kill one of yours, and you keep living where you live, then you win."

Fatman Inactive Member14 Feb 2018 3:32 a.m. PST

The original article states that Israel, by proving their military superiority "proved it could win the war" I am simply saying that despite being able to kick the Bleeped text out of any force facing them the Israelis cannot win the war. The only people who can give the Israelis victory is their enemies by, like Egypt coming to the negotiation table.

Fatman

Lion in the Stars15 Feb 2018 9:11 p.m. PST

Agree with Fatman on this. Unless Israel gets Syria et al to come to the peace table and actually mean it, Israel isn't winning the war. Just the battles.

FFS, Israel has been there since 1948 and there are still lots of parents cheering when their kids commit suicide to kill an Israeli soldier!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.