Help support TMP

"Stars & Lasers game" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

841 hits since 12 Feb 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member12 Feb 2018 9:38 a.m. PST

A short battle report from the other night, about 1500 points per side on the table using Stars & Lasers rules, good fun game, and I won a game for a change ;O)

link

emckinney12 Feb 2018 11:44 a.m. PST

What are the miniatures you were using?

Pros and cons compared to Full Thrust and other games?

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2018 5:00 p.m. PST

So many rules, so little life…

I think at least some of the ships are GZG, right?

The first ones are, right? Those others…. ?

Doug

wolvermonkey12 Feb 2018 7:00 p.m. PST

Great looking minis and game.

Oberlindes Sol LIC12 Feb 2018 10:43 p.m. PST

Nice table and figures! I look forward to reading the AAR in my free time.

Part time gamer13 Feb 2018 12:03 a.m. PST

The game looks pretty good. And 'Congratulations' on the victory.

TheBeast
So many rules, so little life…
Man ain't that the truth.

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member13 Feb 2018 11:09 a.m. PST

@emckinney the ships are Full Thrust ships and my friends Firestorm Armada Zenian League ships

Pros + Cons are a bit hard as I wrote the rules… but basically they came about from my need ( and a few friends ) for a simple spaceship game where we could use any ships from any manufacturer.

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member13 Feb 2018 2:50 p.m. PST

@Part time gamer

"And 'Congratulations' on the victory."
I win so rarely that I will take a minor victory when I can… It was a real close game, and it could have gone either way.

Part time gamer15 Feb 2018 1:01 a.m. PST

@Lonely Gamer
I know that feeling, the rare win. lol

Ive always said: "A little something (small victory) is better than a lot of nothing (major loss)".
A close game, means it had to be a good one and most importantly enjoyed by all.

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2018 10:46 a.m. PST

My recent space ship playing had two losses to one win, and I loved EVERY minute, even when I played painfully stupid, driving a cruiser right into an asteroid.

Been TOOOOO long!

Doug

billthecat23 Feb 2018 8:51 p.m. PST

How similar is this to Full Thrust? I am interested in using these rules for a scratch-built-ships campaign, as I am weary of the written-orders of Full Thrust and feeling too lazy to re/write my own rules with a ship-construction/point system…

Looks like fun, and yes: a great looking game.

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member25 Feb 2018 6:56 p.m. PST

@billthecat

Stars & Lasers is not like Full Thrust at all, it is quick and simple with no written orders, it was written because I was tired of the extremely complicated or the basically daft rule sets that I have played in the past, I wanted a few things from a spaceship combat game that I just could not find out there, things like

Being able to use any ships from any manufacturer ( or even make your own )
No complicated written orders.
Very simple game play that takes about ten minutes to get your head around.
Datasheets for every ship, which track damage / speed / missiles etc. etc.
And no hexes!

And I just wanted to have fun playing a game, and I wanted a game that could keep you on the edge of your seat, and a game that sometimes comes down to that one dice roll that takes out the enemy ship or that sweet manoeuvre that just gets you right behind your target with all lasers firing!

There are no ship-construction rules in Stars & Lasers at the moment, but there are loads of ships datasheets and more coming.

If you want written orders, huge amounts of tables or rules, overly complicated manoeuvres, then Stars & Lasers is not for you… because Stars & Lasers is just a simple spaceship combat game.

billthecat26 Feb 2018 5:43 p.m. PST

Thanks.
It sounds rather perfect actually, except for the lack of 'construction' rules… I assume the ship templates cover a wide variety of ship types? Aw hell, I'll give it a try…

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member27 Feb 2018 2:14 p.m. PST

@billthecat

The main rules cover a lot of ships and I have almost finished a supplement which cover more… and also, I have almost finished a free pirate supplement, which has some pirate ships in.

I have also been asked by a couple of people to produce more ships with different set-ups, these I will do as free ones to download from my site.

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member06 Mar 2018 5:41 p.m. PST

Just added an update of some playtesting on my blog.. I have been busy over the last couple of weeks playtesting some rules in the new supplement for Stars & Lasers.

link

Lonely Gamer Inactive Member22 Mar 2018 7:10 p.m. PST

I have just put up on my blog two free scenarios for Stars & Lasers, these should also be playable in most other space combat systems with a little bit of adjustment.

link

LonelyGamer15 May 2018 11:55 a.m. PST

I have put up a short report of a game I had the other night, real close and lots of fun.

link

gamer124 May 2018 1:35 p.m. PST

If by chance you are looking for some new/different mini's we are adding to our Stars Reach line at achesoncreations.com. The ships are metal and range from 1 inch to 2.5. After we get our second KS done and up on the page will also have some small fighters.
Would love to see what stats you could do for our ships:) Happy gaming all!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.