Help support TMP

"Anti-Missile Test Fails Again" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

788 hits since 31 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian31 Jan 2018 8:12 p.m. PST

A test of an American missile defense system failed early Wednesday morning in Hawaii, two U.S. defense officials tell Fox News. It's the same type of antiballistic infrastructure the Pentagon depends on to shoot down intermediate-range North Korean ballistic missiles. It was the second failure of an SM-3 antiballistic missile interceptor since June…

link

jdginaz31 Jan 2018 11:21 p.m. PST

What few people know or understand is that often they design the test that the missile will probably fail because they learn more from failures than from successes.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2018 2:20 a.m. PST

Seriously? I say, "Nonsense!"
One would think that with the Bad Guys watching, that the propaganda value of a successful shootdown far outways any technical data gleamed.
Do you really think Kim is thinking "I'm not fooled by that supposed failure! They learned a lot!"
Failure shows weakness. We can't afford to show weakness.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2018 2:49 a.m. PST

Sure, let's invite the media to watch a failed launch or, at the very least, let's just let them know how badly it went. And then simply tell them that the failure was "according to plan".*

Lol, well I hope they learned from that disastrous mistake, of giving the media the chance to hear about or, worse still, see first hand any of our military's failures, no matter how small. :)

Dan
* Don't listen to the Joker's advice on that point. Definitely not if it involves the media:
YouTube link

KhivaJoe Inactive Member01 Feb 2018 6:57 a.m. PST

The snag about tests is that they are at best simulations. The RN had for years being demonstrating the lethal capabilities of either Sea Dart or Sea Slug – I think the former – as its prime high altitude sea to air defence. Come the Falklands it gets tried out for real… two aircraft show up, poor thing gets confused and shuts itself down!!! Red faces all around – and a few brown trousers. Massed SLRs and GPMGs fired vertically forced even kamikaze like brilliant pilots up to an altitude where other armaments could deal with them. That was not in the books either. Moral is – gawd only knows what would happen if some of this stuff ever gets used for real… especially with the amounts of whoosh-bang-ooo-nasty that are lurking in the cones.

deephorse01 Feb 2018 9:22 a.m. PST

What few people know or understand is that often they design the test that the missile will probably fail because they learn more from failures than from successes.

Yeah, right. I have rarely read anything so ludicrous.

Rogues101 Feb 2018 3:48 p.m. PST

Working for a defense contractor for a long time we may learn stuff from failures but we usually don't make the award fee payment if it fails. So if the test fails, we fail – not a desirable outcome – whether the press is there or not.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP02 Feb 2018 5:56 p.m. PST

Since this is a disappointment and not what was wanted doesn't that automatically make it Fake News and therefore it never happened and was actually a huge success ?

That's how the world works now, isn't it ?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.