Help support TMP

"Review Part 2: BMC's D-Day Soldiers" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Models Review Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Back to the Plastic Army Men Message Board

840 hits since 28 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Thortrains28 Jan 2018 5:47 p.m. PST

I finished the review by looking at the soldiers packed in the BMC D-Day playset. They are in the 54mm to 60mm range. I have heard many opinions of these figures and they all seem to match mine.

link

I first saw these soldiers about 20 years ago and my opinion has not improved with time.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2018 7:22 p.m. PST

Wow, they look surprisingly poor.

Thortrains28 Jan 2018 8:26 p.m. PST

These are among some of the worst sculpted figures I have every seen. Even as toy figures, they are poor. I have enjoyed toy soldiers since I was a kid back in the 1950s. This set is pretty bad. Just compare them with the figures on my "Army Men Homepage" at thortrains.net/armymen Ironically, BMC's Iwo Jima Marines and Japanese are pretty good.

Londonplod29 Jan 2018 3:09 a.m. PST

I bought the bagged set for my son some 10 years ago, he loved them. I painted some up and they did not look too bad but l really hated the U.S. and German helmets so l suggested the idea of some head swaps to him. He was rather unimpressed to say the least, it then dawned on me that it was a cheap set of toy soldiers designed for children, not adults.
If l wanted high quality sculptors then l should have bought Airfix…..!

One other thing, why is Rommel on such a big base?

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2018 10:18 a.m. PST

For (old) French military, it would raise eyebrows. BMC stand for Bordel Militaire de Company.

GROSSMAN29 Jan 2018 9:32 p.m. PST

These look horrid compared to the old MARX set from the 1970s.

mysteron Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2018 4:25 a.m. PST

For me its just a kids playset . From a railway modellers point of view its like comparing a toy trainset to that of a model railroad.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.