Help support TMP

"Painting hair" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

447 hits since 12 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Private Matter12 Jan 2018 8:01 p.m. PST

I've tried mixing various paint shades together but my results have always been poor. However, I have had good results with using Vallejo gold brown, German camouflage black brown, and black on their own. This leaves me with all my figures only having two colors for hair: dirty blonde, black, or blackish. What other colors can I use, that do not require blending (since I have no eye for that process as I am partially colorblind), for other hair shades out there? At my flgs I can only get Vallejo and GW paints.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 8:23 p.m. PST

Why don't you use some browns?

Private Matter12 Jan 2018 8:31 p.m. PST

Can you recommend a shade since the shades I have tried don't look right.

Personal logo Grelber Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 9:26 p.m. PST

Vallejo Scarlet (817) dry brushed over their Red (926) makes fairly decent red hair. Saddle Brown (940) is a warmish brown that might look good for lighter brown hair. It might also serve as a base to be dry brushed with scarlet for a different version of red hair.

Reaper does several hair color triads, like auburn or blonde. Some of their brown triads are also useful. These can be ordered from Reaper in Denton, TX or from The Warstore in NY--probably from other places, as well.

Grelber

Robert Burke12 Jan 2018 10:50 p.m. PST

For blonde hair, I once had very good results by painting the hair a medium flesh tone and then dry brushing yellow over it. Sounds weird, but the result was very nice .

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 3:13 a.m. PST

For my blonde hair I use a craft paint called Maple Sugar, you can then wash with sepia lightly to bring out detail. (Delta Ceremacote)

wrgmr113 Jan 2018 9:20 a.m. PST

Blonde- medium brown base, dry brush golden brown or yellow brown.
Brown- burnt umber for base then dry brusheither burnt sienna or medium brown.

Battle Phlox13 Jan 2018 10:11 a.m. PST

For brown hair I use a base of Vallejo cammo medium brown and highlight it with khaki grey.

Zephyr113 Jan 2018 2:42 p.m. PST

Basecoat, then ink wash, then drybrush. Just varying colors in those 3 can give you all the variety you need.

For blonde, I basecoat a pale yellow, ink with a darkish (but not reddish) brown, drybrush with base, then final highlight with a pearlescent/metallic white to bring out the top layers of hair.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 3:14 p.m. PST

Agree with Zephry1 – I get the best results with a basecoat and a wash

I have used Desert Sand with a sepia wash (GW Agarax Earthshade) for a nice light brown

mindenbrush21 Jan 2018 3:35 p.m. PST

I use a lot of Foundry and Reaper Triads but for Vallejo, VMC Ivory is a simple lightener for most base colours.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.