Help support TMP

"Monmouth Courthouse - 28mm Refight" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Scenarios Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

822 hits since 12 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

yarkshire gamer12 Jan 2018 11:14 a.m. PST

Afternoon fellow gamers,

Just before Xmas we had a go at the AWI classic Monmouth Courthouse using 28mm figs and British Grenadier Rules.

A cracking time was had by all and I even had the odd moment to take some pretty pictures and why not !

I have included some orbats and set up info for those who fancy a go at the game too.

Enjoy, Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

IronDuke596 Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 1:06 p.m. PST

Excellent terrain and figures coupled with a succint commentary. I really enjoy your posts, thanks.

BTW, your photos are excellent. There is very little glare and figures are in sharp focus. What is your technique?

yarkshire gamer12 Jan 2018 1:28 p.m. PST

Hi, IronDuke 596,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Photography wise there is no secrets, all the shots are taken with the camera on my Samsung Tablet Galaxy S2. I have decent natural light in the games room which helps.

I steady the tablet on a book or similar depending on what height I want to take the photo from, I also prefer to take close up shots and using cropping quite a bit to get the picture composition right, I very rarely if ever use filters either.

So no secret, no special gear just good light and a steady hand (well a steady book anyway !).

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

yarkshire gamer12 Jan 2018 1:29 p.m. PST

Oh and Matt varnish on the figures.

Regards Ken

GiloUK12 Jan 2018 2:41 p.m. PST

Great stuff, Ken!

Supercilius Maximus Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2018 3:23 p.m. PST

Ken – I wrote this scenario and have played it a couple of times myself. Any problems with it?

yarkshire gamer12 Jan 2018 4:02 p.m. PST

Hi Mr Maximus, I bow to you 👍

It's a cracking scenario, with any historical battle you are limited to historical set up anyway but you have done a great job with what you had.

I think it flows really well with the balance swinging gradually from the Americans to the Brits, you can see the morale of the players changing as more and more Brits arrive.

I am notorious for changing stuff and writing my own rules so the very fact that I only made one change (I think I made the chances of the American reinforcements arriving slightly higher but can't be sure as the book isn't in front of me) tells you everything you need to know.

Great job, I included a link to Caliver and the book so hopefully you will be able to retire on the back of the royalties !

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Berzerker7312 Jan 2018 5:37 p.m. PST

Beautiful looking game!

Vigilant13 Jan 2018 4:08 a.m. PST

As one of the players I can second Ken's comments about the scenario. It played well and was fun. A great game as usual with these rules and Ken's set up.

Supercilius Maximus Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2018 11:56 a.m. PST

Thanks, Ken (and Vigilant). How soon do you anticipate re-fighting the afternoon scenario? I didn't write that one, but I am thinking of re-visiting it, as there are some (slightly more historical) tweaks I think need to be made to it.

Sadly, neither Caliver nor Osprey pay royalties, which I guess means I won't be retiring for a while……

yarkshire gamer13 Jan 2018 12:58 p.m. PST

And there was me thinking you were a tax exile!

It's usually about 9 months or so between each game as we have so many other things on the go. If there any tweaks you are thinking of let me know and we can try them out.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Supercilius Maximus Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2018 4:16 a.m. PST

Well, to be fair, I haven't paid tax in a long while, but that's mainly because I haven't earned anything (or strayed beyond the 0% taxable rate) due to a very understanding and talented missus.

yarkshire gamer14 Jan 2018 8:06 a.m. PST

Top skills !

RogerC14 Jan 2018 12:19 p.m. PST

Was a great game Ken cheers.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.