Help support TMP

"Looking for 14th Corps flag in 28mm" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

247 hits since 1 Jan 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Scott MacPhee Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2018 9:00 a.m. PST

I am working up some of the excellent Raven Banner command figures to portray Rosecrans at Stone River, and I have hit a snag. I cannot find a XIV Corps flag anywhere! Do any of you kind fellows know if anyone makes one?

If no one does, can any of you recommend a good graphic designer?

link

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2018 9:31 a.m. PST

link

Don't know if these are what you are looking for.

Cleburne1863 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2018 10:24 a.m. PST

The corps flags for the Army of the Cumberland were different for Stone's River.

According to General Order 41 issued on Dec. 19th, 1862, the Center Wing of the Fourteenth Corps was to be a "plain light blue flag." 6 feet on the staff by 4 feet on the fly.

You have to remember, at the time of Stone's River, the entire army was designated the Fourteenth Corps. After the battle, the Right Wing became the Twentieth Corp, the Center Wing the Fourteenth Corps, and the Left Wing the Twenty-First Corps. So if you are looking for what would become George Thomas' Fourteenth Corps, that would be the Center Wing at Stone's River.

However. The General Order was only issued on Dec. 19th. Just speculation on my part, but I'm not sure that is enough time to have created and issued these designating flags in time for the battle on the 31st. Unless they were sourced locally somehow. But I have no records of that.

Also, the acorn was only adopted as the symbol for the Fourteenth Corps with General Orders No. 62, on April 26, 1864. So the flag on your initial link was issued after that date. It may even be very late 1865 or post war. The Army of the Cumberland had changed its HQ flags again for the Atlanta Campaign, and the one at the link is not it.

Personal logo Scott MacPhee Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2018 11:20 a.m. PST

Not quite, Paul. Those look to be a little later.

Cleburne, that's good info. I too doubt that the plain light blue flag would have been in place by December 31st, but that it what I will probably go with.

Cleburne1863 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2018 11:35 a.m. PST

It certainly can't hurt. And if somebody argues with you, just say "Special Order 41". :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.