Help support TMP

"ESR Napoleonics Game – Invasion of Russia" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in the USA Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

1,219 hits since 26 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 4 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

The Wargaming Company26 Dec 2017 8:54 a.m. PST

Just before Christmas TWC sponsored a local ESR Napoleonics game, French vs Russians in the fall of 1812. Checkout a brief AAR and many photos in our Gallery.

We'll be resetting the scenario this next week now that the players are warmed up and see if it goes much differently on a second try.

Figures are mostly Old Glory 15s from 19th Century Miniatures. Rules were Et sans résultat! (ESR Second Edition) from The Wargaming Company, buildings were 10mm Battlescale, also available in North America from The Wargaming Company.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2017 10:05 a.m. PST

Good looking game. It looks very Napoleonic. I like those buildings too.

Fine rule system. I will be running a game myself at my house in early February. I may try your scenario idea.

Tom

18th Century Guy Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2017 3:35 p.m. PST

Does anyone have photos of 28mm units based up for ESR? I looked at the handy table for basing and it looks like the basing system I have doesn't match. I currently base my 28mm figures with a 15mm frontage per figure. Depth is not really something I worry about because it is so out of wack anyway that it doesn't matter.
How would I make ESR work with my current basing?

The Wargaming Company27 Dec 2017 3:54 p.m. PST

18th Century Guy,

There are some players we've met at conventions who do play ESR in 28mm, generally using the 1" to 50 yards ground scale. The way to use the basing table is to arrange your figures as you'd like, then measure the unit's frontage and see which it best compares to.

A full strength French battalion at 1:50 yards would take up just shy of 4" of frontage (3.75" strictly speaking). That would give you about 6 figures of frontage.

Keep in mind that while we put out our Quick Reference Guides at a variety of ground scales, we also put them out in raw scale yards, so you could play at any ground scale – if, for instance, 1:50 yards does not meet your desire.

Hope that helps!

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

The Wargaming Company27 Dec 2017 4:01 p.m. PST

Tom,

Thank you! We'll be re-booting the scenario tomorrow night in a followup game. One factor of how we executed the scenario that we didn't include in the AAR was that most of the players (this was a 3v4 game) had three Formations to run, but only started with 1-2 on the tabletop, the others arriving as the game progressed.

This was by design, both as very plausible for the type of scenario – the French were attempting to capture two key bridges while the Russians were rushing troops to the field to delay them – and allowed the players to focus on less decisions at once.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2017 12:22 p.m. PST

Thanks David, a good way to do it.

Tom

18th Century Guy Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2017 6:16 p.m. PST

TWC,

That helps but unfortunately isn't something I'm setup to do. Using 6 figures frontage for a battalion is not in the same ratio for me. Our battalions range from 30 to 48 figures in 28mm.

I was hoping that I'd be able to match up my mounting system to your rule set to see how it might play out but it seems that given my situation that it will not work.

Thanks for the help.

The Wargaming Company28 Dec 2017 9:04 p.m. PST

18th Century Guy,

You could run ESR at ~25 yards per inch and keep the big battalions, but the battlefield would end up being quite small – which is perfectly cool with more tactical systems, but I suspect would be very disappointing with ESR. So goes.

Glad we were at least able to clarify for you.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

DougEagle Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2017 11:00 p.m. PST

In the first posting on here, you were using 15mm?
How many figures to a base and how big were the bases?

Doug

The Wargaming Company31 Dec 2017 11:44 p.m. PST

Hi Doug,

Yes, the game posted in this thread was run with 15mm figures. Ground scale was 1":75 yards. French infantry bases were mostly 2.5"x1.5", some were 2"x1.5". The Russians were mostly 1.5" square with some 2"x1.5".

ESR is ground scale and figure scale agnostic so what is important is that the basing used and the ground scale used work out.

On our Downloads page you can check out The Overview and see the recommended Unit footprints for a variety of ground scales on page 4 of the introduction.

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.