Help support TMP

"Laye Haye Saint as the artist saw it?" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

905 hits since 24 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 4:23 a.m. PST

Blimey. My apologies……..I would like to blame the bug..

Let me have one more try!

A recent small project to add to my KGL garrison at LHS. When I showed the Brigade Games Miniatures folk did compare them to the famous Northen painting, so I thought let's have a go at picking out some of the prominent characters. These are now Perry figures from KGL but even Nassau and ACW. Hope you like them and Merry Christmas to all!

picture

picture

JimDuncanUK24 Dec 2017 4:54 a.m. PST

A good combination photograph, well done.

I visited LHS a few years ago and was surprised about the neatness of the site and it's still a working farm.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 4:59 a.m. PST

You actually managed to get inside? cannot understand why the owners do not exploit its history more. OK, a working farm, they cannot have folk wandering at random.

But some of us would pay the proverbial arm and leg to gain admittance even for half an hour.

Gonsalvo24 Dec 2017 4:59 a.m. PST

Wonderful execution of a starting inspiration!
We will have to get you to actually play a wargame at least once in your life, though!:-)

Have a great Christmas, and maybe some new figures under the tree…

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 5:11 a.m. PST

Many thanks. I am sure everyone knows the original but I had meant to include it (at least a detail from it below).

Seeing the original next to my photos makes me realise just how skilled was the artist. Now, what about his Plancenoit work?

In a few minutes I created chaos above and I insist I have not had a drop of intoxicating liquor all day (so far).

picture

GamesPoet Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 5:13 a.m. PST

Looking good! : )

JimDuncanUK24 Dec 2017 5:33 a.m. PST

Our visit to LHS was unauthorised, we entered the yard through an open gate, saw a bit of the barn/shed and then scuttled out after some dirty looks from the farmer.

N0tt0N Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 5:38 a.m. PST

Finally! The REAL TRUTH of LHS! It happened in 28mm!

Awesome work, thanks for sharing.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 7:50 a.m. PST

Yes, it's true. LHS was fought in 28mm. But it was done on a side table, and the results fed into the larger game. Waterloo itself was fought in 9mm. In fact, they still have it at the National Army Museum.

14Bore24 Dec 2017 8:24 a.m. PST

Nicely done,think of trying to add some smoke if you do this again.

wrgmr124 Dec 2017 9:16 a.m. PST

Great action shot Liam!
Happy Christmas to you and yours!

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 9:24 a.m. PST

Smoke….just tried it with Microsoft Paint 3D…….

Totally transforms the images. I'll do that properly and repost

GeordieMike24 Dec 2017 9:48 a.m. PST

Top notch work Liam, super stuff! May I ask which model of LHS you have? I'm assuming of course it's not just photos & you are using a model but I could be wrong.

Merry Xmas

Mike

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 9:55 a.m. PST

The answer is both. I have a Hovels LHS for background to the models, but, for the photo I cheated with a print of a photo of the real thing.

I'll forgive a Geordie for beating us yesterday. I'd rather see NUFC stay up than WHUFC…….

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 11:11 a.m. PST

Smoke…had a go and I think makes for a far better picture. Next I might alter the view to a higher camera angle

picture

Artilleryman24 Dec 2017 11:17 a.m. PST

Brilliant!

Markconz24 Dec 2017 11:35 a.m. PST

Very impressive Liam!

GeordieMike24 Dec 2017 12:54 p.m. PST

Hi Liam,
I'll happily take the 3 points right now, an early Xmas present!
I've always fancied getting the Hovels LHS, I assume you're happy with it? It certainly looks the part & the Hovels buildings are pretty decent in general.
The smoke definitely adds another level of realism to the image, really good effort mate.
All the best
Mike

14Bore24 Dec 2017 12:58 p.m. PST

Gives it a real photograph feeling

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2017 4:40 p.m. PST

Oh you were totally right…inspired and thanks!

I will work on it further and cannot think why I did not process the image a bit more, frankly.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2017 4:30 a.m. PST

Only just noticed the title. Surely I did not type that?

La Haye Sainte (although sometimes Haie) but certainly not as it now appears. This was posted mid morning our time and well before the sun went over the yardarm!

14Bore26 Dec 2017 8:33 a.m. PST

I often point out on another website that I read a artical that the brain figures out what is supposed to be there and moves on without a notice.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2017 9:24 a.m. PST

Totally. You read what you expect to see there…and what you intended.

Also, in proofreading, if you do spot an error, do go back to the adjacent text. There is, statistically, a much higher chance of a second, but yet reduced chance of you actually spotting it.

Fortunately our brains are however hard wired to "see" faces. Not one of the figures above has eyes painted in, just a dark wash into the eye sockets. But we "see" eyes there..

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.