Help support TMP

"Small Cheap Plastic Trees?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

730 hits since 23 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2017 10:45 a.m. PST

Putting together some terrain to lend a 3D effect to geomorphic boards. Monopoly hotels and houses work, but can anyone recommend trees and bridges to match? Ideally one piece or nearly so: I can do serious scratchbuild if I must, but quick, easy and cheap is pretty much the point.

(NB this is a scale problem for miniature wargamers. That is, if there were more of us, or we were concentrated in fewer scales and periods, some of our costs would drop substantially. I can buy 50 cheap plastic houses for $10.00 USD with free delivery. but only because I'm piggybacking on the boardgamers. If they used trees, I could buy forests.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2017 11:18 a.m. PST

A while back I got 100 N scale trees from China (sad to say) off eBay for a very small sum. I am making a board for a forest fire game. Sorry, I don't have the seller name but check out eBay.

bobspruster23 Dec 2017 11:31 a.m. PST

Check Amazon, too. I got 100 trees roughly 1/300 for like $10 USD…from China, but was a quick delivery time nonetheless.

dragon623 Dec 2017 1:07 p.m. PST

If it's a large forest what about the old foam, ripped and torn, sprayed green and black, set on toothpicks? From above it looks good, easily removed to get at the toys. Maybe a small bit of lichen at the edge for undergrowth

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2017 2:59 p.m. PST

Thank you all. I now have 100 trees on order to go with 100 buildings.

Dragon, I didn't make myself clear. What I'm doing is taking existing geomorphic hex maps and adding 3D terrain to go with the troops. It about splits the difference between a board game and a miniatures game, losing some of the beauty of a properly set up miniatures table, but gaining in portability and speed of set-up. But it only works smoothly if your terrain fits within the corresponding hex--and can go on a different hex next week.

Note that it's also cheap. The troops for the first trial are from the Ogre kickstarter. The boards are flea market finds--mostly ASL, but also Battletech and some I can't identify. Fill them with Monopoly buildings at 20 cents per and trees at 30 cents each and you're not talking a serious investment.

Painting everything might take a bit of time, though.

womble67 Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2018 5:22 a.m. PST

My guide for Making Trees and Woods Check out the video at the bottom of the page. hope it helps.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Take care

Andy

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.