Help support TMP

"Non GW Orc/Goblin wolf/warg riders?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 28mm Fantasy Message Board

696 hits since 21 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Keifer11321 Dec 2017 3:55 p.m. PST

Looking for Orc/Goblin wolf riders.

I don't want to use the cartoonish GW models. LOTR would have been ok if their wargs looked like wolves. I was planning on using Vendel Miniatures but they went out of business.

Any other makers? Would the Oathmark Goblins be convertible?

Thanks

Keith

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP21 Dec 2017 4:05 p.m. PST

You did not specify scale… The Dark Alliance Orc Warg Riders are surprisingly detailed, amazingly inexpensive, but also 1/72 scale. If they fit the bill, they are fantastic figures! I use them as Goblin Warg Riders, for my 25-28mm games. The Wargs are modeled after the LotR movies of late. If using them for 25-28mm games, they may seem a bit small. Other than that, they are superb. Cheers!

PrivateSnafu21 Dec 2017 4:50 p.m. PST

Goblin Factory from Slave2Gaming

link

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Dec 2017 4:56 p.m. PST

Well, since he posted on the 28mm boards and mentioned a 28mm range, I'm guessing he wants 28mm recommendations.

Mantic's are cool but a bit cartoony and riding boars, not wolves. Ditto the *very* cartoonish Fenryll, even GameZone has them on boars.

Maybe you could look just for mounts?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP21 Dec 2017 5:07 p.m. PST

I used Realer mounts and glued GW LOTR orcs to their back.

Dust Warrior21 Dec 2017 5:41 p.m. PST

Mantic range? May still be too cartoony.

Crazyivanov21 Dec 2017 7:14 p.m. PST

Sgt Major Miniatures had the old Vendel Range under the title Bloody Day, but they've gone out of business it seems

Cyrus the Great21 Dec 2017 7:27 p.m. PST

Wait until Oathmark releases theirs.

LostPict Supporting Member of TMP21 Dec 2017 7:49 p.m. PST

Otherwirkd Miniatures makes these: link

And for a few more hours Thunderbolt Mountain makes these link

Keifer11321 Dec 2017 7:51 p.m. PST

If Oathmark is making some I will wait, those those Otherworld ones look ok. I will miss Thunderbolt Mountain. I was hoping to get a ton of their elves but alas….

TBeyer Supporting Member of TMP22 Dec 2017 8:45 a.m. PST

RAFM and Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals also make some nice wolf riders:

link

link

link

firstvarty197925 Dec 2017 12:07 a.m. PST

Maybe you aren't aware of the Hobbit version of GW's Warg riders? They look A LOT more like wolves than those from LOTR. The price isn't TOO bad compared to the rest of that line, and you can find them discounted on occasion if you check ebay.

link

link

Keifer11325 Dec 2017 7:11 p.m. PST

They don't look as bad as I thought…..

Baranovich06 Jan 2018 1:20 p.m. PST

Not sure why one would consider GW's wolf riders cartoonish. I think they're some of the best out there…but to each their own.

darclegion Inactive Member08 Jan 2018 9:20 p.m. PST

28mm Thunderbolt miniatures. Tom Meier is the sculpter. Used to sculpt for Ral Partha. Best I've seen and have about 36.

link

link

Well I didn't know they closed down. I'm sure the molds will be sold if they are going out of business but hopefully just temporary. But I have not ordered in awhile or checked.

Keifer11308 Jan 2018 9:23 p.m. PST

Thunderbolt Miniatures close down about 3 weeks ago.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.