Help support TMP

"Russian Battery" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

771 hits since 18 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 2 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 8:03 a.m. PST

I just finished a project I've been working on for some time, a 28mm 1812 Russian heavy battery that I've based at 1:300 ground scale, and 1:2 vehicles/guns. The limbers are on two bases, and the ropes are not attached between halves--I preferred to have the flexibility and an easier time moving them about.

The first picture is at 1:300. The tail is a little long, according to regulations, but I can double-up the limbers if things get tight.

Next is at 1:56 ground scale (1:1 vehicles/guns) Farther back would be two more caissons per gun; the wagons and the rest of the battery's equipment. I threw a couple of my SAGA thatched huts on there for reference. I wish I had enough artillerymen to give an accurate portrait of how busy that space would be.

Turned out to be quite a bit more work than I'd expected, but I think it provides an interesting contrast to the usual one gun with crew running about the tabletop. grin

link

davbenbak Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 8:12 a.m. PST

Wow! They certainly have a commanding presence on the table top.

JLA10518 Dec 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

Very nice work!

Artilleryman18 Dec 2017 10:07 a.m. PST

Very nice and they demonstrate the amount of space artillery took up on the battlefield.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 10:13 a.m. PST

Agreed. What always strikes me is just how deeply they extended, layer upon layer of support and ammo. Vehicles loaded with some very dangerous cargo and horses densely packed (If even one of the team goes down all are scuppered until sorted out).

What a target they seem, first second bounce sure to hit something.

But then we hear counter battery fire was discouraged and relatively ineffective!

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 10:42 a.m. PST

The caissons here are 15 paces closer than they would be for a light (6#) battery because the heavy limber doesn't have an ammunition box, while the light version does. The Zhmodikovs' "Tactics of the Russian Army…" has a very interested section on artillery usage in general, and counter-battery fire in Volume 2. Probably worth buying it for that alone.

wrgmr118 Dec 2017 11:00 a.m. PST

Nice work! It's amazing how much space they take up on a road. That would certainly need to be calculated in a campaign game.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 11:11 a.m. PST

Thanks! Yeah, that was six out of some 600 Russian cannon, and even then it's missing 12 caissons and wagons full of spare carriage parts, and the forge.

14Bore18 Dec 2017 2:09 p.m. PST

That is a lot of work and more limbers and light caissons than I have for over 400 Russian guns. Very impressive.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2017 3:56 p.m. PST

grin Yeah, with the 1805 reforms, the Russians felt their roads needed a better horsepower to weight ratio, and they moved to the troika caisson.

Markconz19 Dec 2017 12:51 a.m. PST

Great work and certainly illustrates numerous points very well. Cheers!

von Winterfeldt19 Dec 2017 3:35 a.m. PST

inspirational

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.