Help support TMP

"Russian Tanks Can Roll Toward Battle on an ‘Iron Carpet’" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2008-present) Message Board

607 hits since 8 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2017 1:04 p.m. PST

"The Eastern Front during World War II brought the enduring image of tanks bogged down in seas of thick, sticky mud.

While it might come as a surprise, the twice-annual Russian mud is still a major military problem. So, Russia has developed a road-laying truck for its engineering troops called the KVD, short for "temporary road system," to lay down a 50-meter-long aluminum sheet to help tanks and other armored vehicles to cross some of the stickiest paths.

More than 72 years of tank development since the end of World War II have not found a military solution for the mud — just quick fixes like the KVD. For an illustration of just how bad the mud is, here's a video of a T-90 getting stuck in a morass before being pulled out by another tank…."
Main page with video here

link

Amicalement
Armand

JARROVIAN Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2017 4:59 a.m. PST

1950's technology.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2017 11:26 a.m. PST

But… it work or not?….

Amicalement
Armand

JARROVIAN Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 4:14 a.m. PST

Of course it works Tango, the British invented it.

M1911Colt Inactive Member10 Dec 2017 8:51 a.m. PST

Both from WWII

Begemot10 Dec 2017 11:28 a.m. PST

JARROVIAN – I had a British car in late 1970's. Worst electrical system in any car I've owned. "The British invented it" isn't a recommendation in my experience.

And besides, some ideas are obvious.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2017 3:30 p.m. PST

If the British invented them… for sure it's work!… (smile)….

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.