Help support TMP

"15mm: what part is the most tedious?" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

625 hits since 3 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo sillypoint Supporting Member of TMP03 Dec 2017 8:25 p.m. PST

For me, horse harness then maybe shields.

goragrad03 Dec 2017 9:27 p.m. PST

Accoutrements and fittings.

Trying to get some variation in appearance without spending excessive time.

attilathepun4703 Dec 2017 9:40 p.m. PST

Painting the interwoven colors on the Napoleonic British lace (and, if you believe that, I have a great used car for sale).

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP03 Dec 2017 10:44 p.m. PST

Prepping: all the filing, sanding, reposing, straightening or replacing or fashioning javelins or spears or pikes, gluing, priming, etc. before the paint even goes on. Sometimes the prep work feels like Zeno's Dichotomy Paradox.

- Ix

GurKhan04 Dec 2017 1:23 a.m. PST

Horse-hooves. Though the harnessing runs a close second.

Dynaman878904 Dec 2017 4:02 a.m. PST

Prepping for me too, can't stand it. To the point where I prefer plastic and Resin models. Plastic is easy to assemble compared to warped metal and flash is easy to clean up. Resin from Gaming Models comes already assembled, just needs paint.

Black Cavalier04 Dec 2017 6:26 a.m. PST

All of it. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd have painting services paint all my miniatures.

Perris070704 Dec 2017 7:46 a.m. PST

Belts and straps. Hate them on 15's.

Carlo Fantom04 Dec 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

I'm with Perris, straps and webbing. I'm fine with prepping though, it's normally the bit where you are most excited so I don't notice.

jefritrout Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 12:37 p.m. PST

Horses – granted that's true in any scale, but it has got to the horses.

Zephyr104 Dec 2017 2:14 p.m. PST

The sheer number that need to be painted…

rvandusen Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 3:23 p.m. PST

I'm not a fan of painting muskets. By the time I'm ready to paint weapons I'm sick of painting.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 5:08 p.m. PST

Painting the letters on the hilt of 6mm figures. evil grin

Personal logo sillypoint Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 6:53 p.m. PST

I seldom "finish" my figures. I just decide it will look okay in the table top as a unit and then stop.

Twilight Samurai Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 8:40 p.m. PST

The beginning, before the greatness of what will be reveals itself.

Ragbones Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2017 9:23 p.m. PST

Horses.

Fred Mills05 Dec 2017 4:05 a.m. PST

Straps, especially those on bedrolls and in the narrow places around hips and waists. And the spot where the rider meets the horse.

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 8:45 a.m. PST

Touching up many times after the original paint job. It has been made doubly irritating by a tremor.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 10:50 a.m. PST

I get stuck in the "touching up" loop with small ship models sometimes.

• Paint the model overall "vertical side" color (e.g. gray)
  • Paint the deck
  • Touch up the vertical surfaces where the deck color went up/down the sides
  • Touch up the deck where the vertical color overflowed
  • Re-touch the vertical surfaces
  • Re-touch a few deck spots
  • Repeat ad infinitum

I find I have to give up and live with the results after I wake up in a corner of the room with my arms around my knees, wondering what it was I have been muttering out loud for the last several minutes (or was it hours…?).

- Ix

flipper05 Dec 2017 1:46 p.m. PST

Hi

Knowing that I might have to do some serious flash removal if I buy 1 particular (old) range of Napoleonic figures.
It's the equivalent in time of otherwise being able to mount/undercoat and possibly get started on the flesh.

Otherwise things such as the fine detail on a drum or shako cords on Napoleonic Russian's…

Musket detail can get laborious as well!

That is why I like to buy from manufacturers who
produce figures with a lesser amount of fine detail.

corona66 Supporting Member of TMP05 Dec 2017 6:50 p.m. PST

The trim on tricornes can be a bit of a grind.

Mick the Metalsmith07 Dec 2017 5:41 p.m. PST

musket and shako details…I usually just ignore the brass fittings on muskets and some of the cords. Eyes never get painted.

I used to put buttons on gaiters, and painted tricolor cockades.

AMENHOTEP6MM30 Dec 2017 4:16 p.m. PST

Drilling. When the figures you inherited come with lead spears/pikes and start breaking within the first week of you receiving them, you realize drilling out the lead and replacing it with wire spears is your only option. Of course, when you examine them at first you think "Okay, this won't take me a week to drill out all the spears" then once you actually start, you start breaking the hands as you can't drill straight or the bit is too big. After months of frustration, I have finally got to the end of my original 15mm phalanx pikemen but that was because I stopped working entirely on the 15mm and started focusing on the 2mm armies as they only take an hour at most to finish an entire army. Of course, as a poor college student, I also had to suspend any work on the 15mm as I ran out of funds. Just when I had finished drilling the money ran dry…. I had to move to Irregulars 2mm, as it is so cheap. Maybe one day when I am not poor/in college I can finish the 15mm

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.