Help support TMP

"Home made gaming mat" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

719 hits since 2 Dec 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

malleman02 Dec 2017 1:36 p.m. PST

Made the mat from canvas and caulk and kitty litter. I found some pink foam from an old project to make some rock formations. The project cost around $50 USD with the shrubs and little trees, but the mat itself with the paint was around $25 USD including spray paint and caulk.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2017 2:25 p.m. PST

Nice. But I'd like to especially thank you for getting the basing and the mat to line up. Not always done.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2017 5:26 p.m. PST
Neal Smith02 Dec 2017 8:26 p.m. PST

Nice. I'm about to do the same.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2017 8:26 p.m. PST

Really well done.

How do you store a mat with caulk on it? Will it roll up OK?

I usually just color cloth (paint, stain, and bleach in whatever order makes sense) until I'm happy with it. To store it, I stuff it in a bag so that it has wrinkles but not regular creases. I pull it tight across the game table, and use big binder clips to clip it to the table. The wrinkles that remain look pretty natural.

I'm not sure that I would be able to do that with a caulked mat, but I like the texture of caulk. It also looks very natural.

Neal Smith02 Dec 2017 9:04 p.m. PST

Most people roll it up either on itself or around some sort of tube.

GhostofRebeccaBlack Inactive Member03 Dec 2017 8:31 a.m. PST

Very nice board!

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian03 Dec 2017 9:01 a.m. PST

Nice!

malleman03 Dec 2017 1:14 p.m. PST

Here is a picture with it rolled up. I sprayed the back side black before I did the caulk. I used the quick set caulk. I then sprayed the top black. I used sponges to paint random rocks in different shades of brown and gray and then did a brown then gray dry brush over the whole mat I then did a thinned down black wash made from craft paint over the whole mat.

This is the first one I did. I used a sponge to make blocks for tiles and then dry brushed the whole thing with browns and grays craft paints I mixed. I then did a thinned down black wash made from craft paint.

Skinflint Games03 Dec 2017 2:09 p.m. PST

You can roll that up and store it? That's AWESOME – a 2018 project for us, definitely!

The H Man03 Dec 2017 3:04 p.m. PST

Top notch.

Poor little drone. Big mean man rolled him up in the mat. I do hope he is OK.

Another option may be to build up a land scape from card scrunched up newspaper tape and what have you. Cover in kitchen foil. Then use liquid latex brushed over the top.( Rub dish liquid into bristles to save them and rub more on at the end and wash it out). Lay on tissue or loo Paper or maybe cloth strips and more latex. Do layers a few times. Add paints to lastlayer. Bits of sponge can be added and painted with latex for rocks and buildings. Once dry, peek off. Some sponge could be latexed on uunder it to support areas needed.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.