Help support TMP

"French OOB/Strengths Shevardino/Borodino?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

342 hits since 2 Dec 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2017 8:33 a.m. PST

There's quite a bit of information available on the Russian side, but I'm having less luck with French unit strengths. I've only been able to find the 8/15 returns and Mikaberidze's inclusion of George de Chambray's corps-level estimates in "The Battle of Borodino." Has anything new turned up recently? I do have the old AOE spreadsheet as well, which summarizes wargamer estimates.

Thanks!

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian02 Dec 2017 8:48 a.m. PST

Bill Gray posted the AoE scenario with labels on the AoE site

Le Breton02 Dec 2017 12:06 p.m. PST

jeffrey,
Nothing new that I know about.
I was trying to get a better numbers even for the 2e corps at Jacobovo and 1st Polotsk …. and found that I could not get very far with hard data at the battalion/regiment level.
The only way I think you can do it now is man-by-man for the infantry and the guard, using the matricules. It would be a herculean task to cover Borodino. Actually the size of the task scared me for just the few regimetns at Jacobovo.

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2017 7:42 p.m. PST

Thanks, Breton--I was afraid that would be the case…

Le Breton03 Dec 2017 6:30 a.m. PST

Your question is an apt and very interesting one.

Hmmm …. Shevardino maybe …. I will take a look to see what I can find (it will take a while).

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2017 5:02 a.m. PST

Yes, definitely let me know what you find! I went ahead and finished off the first draft of the Shevardino OOB just to get it out there. I found the French + Polish officers' names/spelling to be very confusing--everyone seems to have a different "simplification."

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.