Help support TMP

"Hail Ceaser VS To the Strongest" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

946 hits since 28 Nov 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

rhacelt28 Nov 2017 2:17 p.m. PST

I did a quick search on this topic but did not really find any comparisons. I saw where several people said they wanted to try To the Strongest but no real comparisons. So oh great and wise ancients players sell me on witch is better please. I am hoping that details may be included not just it is more fun.

lloydthegamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Nov 2017 2:44 p.m. PST

Can't compare them, but I can say I've enjoyed playing To the Strongest.

advocate28 Nov 2017 2:52 p.m. PST

TtS is less random than HC in terms of command.
Both use standard and deep units, so armies for one will probably suit both and many other sets.
TtS is played on a grid: some people don't like that.
TtS uses cards (or chits) for movement and combat.
HC tends to use special rules to distinguish between troop types. I'd say TtS units are more vanilla.
I've preferred TtS over HC, but I can see that others might go the other way.

Dexter Ward29 Nov 2017 3:28 a.m. PST

To the Strongest is much quicker and cleaner to play.
Partly because of the grid (no disputes about movement) but also because of the cards. Its is surprising how much time some players waste rolling dice (which then go off the table). Flipping a card is much quicker.

rhacelt29 Nov 2017 6:16 a.m. PST

Thank you. Any further comments?

Kenntak Inactive Member29 Nov 2017 6:26 a.m. PST

One significant difference from an economic standpoint is that the army lists for To the Strongest! are free, while the HC ones are not. The TtS! lists are available for download, and are kept regularly updated. I really enjoy TtS, they are my "go to" rules now.

basileus66 Inactive Member29 Nov 2017 10:51 a.m. PST

The main advantage fo TtS regarding other sets is that being grid based you can make your units as big or as small as you want… and then use them for other rulesets. I have used my Vikings and Saxons, based for Saga, with TtS

Rottcodd Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2017 4:51 p.m. PST

Another vote for TtS! No arguments about movement, or recoils, or whether a unit is on the flank or not. Fast combats, a very stream-lined ruleset.
We play on a 6x8 or 6x12 table, with large armies, but room to maneuver. It really feels like I'm acting like a commander instead of worrying about the minutiae of the rules.

mghFond29 Nov 2017 10:52 p.m. PST

For many of the reasons already given, I'd say TtS. It is now the only ancients rules I use for my games.

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Nov 2017 5:19 a.m. PST

I am feeling the love. :-)

One thing I did consciously decide to do with TtS! was to make it a viable tournament game, hence the army lists, point values and terrain rules.

We have a big 28mm tournament (The "Worlds") coming up in February 24th near Oxford. We are already expecting around 40 players abut still have some tables left; I could feasibly loan you an army if you don't have one. If interested, please mail me via the address here: -

bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk

Best Simon

YogiBearMinis Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2017 6:39 a.m. PST

Support for HC, at least official support, seems to have stalled as well.

Marcus Brutus30 Nov 2017 8:29 a.m. PST

I don't know about the games themselves but HC visually looks better than TtS. The arbitrary nature of the grid and the divided up battle line doesn't work for me visually.

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Nov 2017 8:48 a.m. PST

Et tu, Brute? ;-)

Marcus Brutus30 Nov 2017 3:32 p.m. PST

I kiss thy hand, but not in flattery, Caesar.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.