Help support TMP

"Getting Started with Rommel" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Rules Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

1,342 hits since 22 Nov 2017
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

John de Terre Neuve Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2017 8:12 a.m. PST

It is not often that you get to plan a whole new army with a new ruleset. I found planning armies for Rommel enormous fun as detailed in this blog post. link

Thanks for looking,

John

Joe Legan22 Nov 2017 8:39 a.m. PST

Very neat and I am glad you are enjoying it. I love miniatures but I personally think they lose something once we abstract them too much. I guess I am too concrete. A tank model representing a tank I get. A tank model representing more than 1 tank I don't get. I know plenty of people do and more power to them.
For me I skirmish with miniatures ( at true ground scale of course) and anything bigger goes to the computer or boardgame. Again I guess I am too concrete in my symbology.
I am glad it is working for you. Your models look great!

Joe

d88mm1940 Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2017 2:02 p.m. PST

I believe that this idea came from the old 'Wargamers Digest' back in the late 70's. Gene McCoy thought that if Napoleonics and Civil War used a 1:20 or 1:50 (or whatever) figure scale, why not WW2. So he came up with his innovative 'Series 78' Divisions (I think it was 78).
Using 1/87 scale stuff, one could now fight a large battle. It was quite interesting for the times.

Durban Gamer23 Nov 2017 5:30 a.m. PST

Very clever basing ideas! You may find them a little hard to pick up if so thin?

Prince Alberts Revenge23 Nov 2017 3:11 p.m. PST

Nice blog! I'm also just jumping into Rommel. Ordered enough figures for the two sample scenarios last night. I'm going with 3mm and 4" squares.

John de Terre Neuve Supporting Member of TMP25 Nov 2017 5:39 a.m. PST

Thanks for the comments.

Joe: To each his own I suppose. I have never played any board or computer games so I think it would be a bit of a jump for me.

d88mm1940: It would be pretty tough to play any Napoleonic games without some scaling, so I agree.

Durban: It is a little tricky for sure but much easier to transport. Once I get them polyurethaned, I will be happier with picking them up by the vehicle.

Prince: I will look forward to seeing your progress, I sometimes think I should have gone with a smaller scale.

John

Andy ONeill25 Nov 2017 7:28 a.m. PST

I particularly like your hills.

I'm not sure you'll want to know now. But.
The shermans look great but you might want to check when they stopped using caunter.

John de Terre Neuve Supporting Member of TMP25 Nov 2017 12:54 p.m. PST

Thanks Andy, I realise that the caunter is early war and the Shermans do not show up until 42 or mid-war. I am Ok with it though!

Joe Legan25 Nov 2017 2:34 p.m. PST

John,
I was sincere. Your stuff looks great.
Have fun

Joe

John de Terre Neuve Supporting Member of TMP27 Nov 2017 8:46 a.m. PST

No problem Joe, I know you were sincere. I was just commenting that I am not big into computer games.

John

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.