Help support TMP

"Amended British Army Uniform Charts." Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Getting Started with Napoleonics Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

595 hits since 20 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

dibble20 Nov 2017 4:02 p.m. PST

As you many of you know, I have been working on the British uniform charts of both the line and militia units. Well here are the updated British line regiments charts.

I have amended the mistakes that were published first by de Bosset in 1803 then copied by Hamilton-Smith in his updated 1812 version. These mistakes have carried over to many, many publications up to and including C.E Franklin's British Napoleonic Uniforms book. The Regiments in question are the 58th (Rutlandshire), 74th, 78th (Ross-shire Buffs), and the 98th.

In the contemporary painting examples that I have posted below, I have included Hamilton-Smith's chart cartouch to highlight the errors.

The updated version of the charts are in 6 parts and I have now included the regiment names too.

I hope these charts will be of some use.

If anyone spots any errors, please highlight them for me.

Paul :)

Whirlwind21 Nov 2017 1:47 a.m. PST

Thanks very much, looks very useful.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP21 Nov 2017 2:30 a.m. PST

It is superb to have all this at a glance. How useful to immediately see the lace arrangements and style eg bastion etc., even the details of the lace design and the "metal colour" for officers. Is it OK to download and save these?

But best of all…pure chance…a unit I had never heard of. The 99th POW's Tipperary Regt of Foot. Incredulous, I checked CE Franklin and sure enough…..

Now these I need to know more about. Since checked on-line and drew a blank. Much mention of switching to 98th in 1816 but before that…not a sausage!

von Winterfeldt21 Nov 2017 4:34 a.m. PST

excellent, now please can you do the same thing for cavalry as well.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP21 Nov 2017 6:32 a.m. PST

Oh yes.

good point.

Is it not why the study of uniforms of the "British Army" is such challenge? French Line…pah…blue with cuffs and collars red and a bit of white. Do the next unit……. same and again. Do some in shabby overcoats for a change. OK I will concede Light regts.

British. Ignore Guards. We have Line, Fusiliers, Light, Rifles, buff faced regts with all their strange "webbing", no two lace arrangements the same, as we have seen here. Highlanders in kilts, in trews, even in Light Regts (but still with Highland distinctions). 28th shako. 71st Bonnet…..etc etc.

dibble21 Nov 2017 7:06 a.m. PST

von Winterfeldt

The British light cavalry regiments are very complicated when it comes to numbering, disbanding, and uniform & facing changes. the reorganisation wasn't done with ease as far as us enthusiasts are concerned. I need to do lots more research on them and do more than one cartouch for each regiment if I use the starting point of say, 1800, earlier than that and it would mean 'more' head scratching. The layout of the cartouche 'key' itself also needs to be looked into to come up with a easy to understand system. A look in Franklin's tome will highlight the confusion with the light Cavalry arm aptly…

I'm also embarking on a very up-hill task of showing yeomanry cavalry regiments in a similar way which so far, is progressing very slowly.

42flanker22 Nov 2017 7:32 a.m. PST

Great stuff, Paul.

God wills it Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2017 10:53 a.m. PST

Very helpful…thankyou very much.

4th Cuirassier30 Nov 2017 9:28 a.m. PST

excellent resource, many thanks

von Winterfeldt30 Nov 2017 11:39 a.m. PST

dibble

In case, there you have this immense collection of portraits, you could make a book – showing the portraits and then the colour schemes, like you did on the 98th – for example the difference on the portraits "buff" and then on the scheme.

dibble30 Nov 2017 12:35 p.m. PST

Thank's von' It's a good Idea. I should have a long think about it.

Just an aside: I have updated C.E Franklin's artwork and text of those four regiments quoted above. For my own personal use of course!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.