Help support TMP

"Post Captain Age of Sail rules at MillenniumCon in Austin" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

548 hits since 17 Nov 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

BrianW17 Nov 2017 9:03 p.m. PST

This last weekend, I ran two AOS scenarios at Millenniumcon in Austin using the Post Captain rules by Old Dominion Gameworks. There's a report and pictures up on my blog, at

link

Please come by and check it out.
BWW

torokchar Supporting Member of TMP18 Nov 2017 7:44 a.m. PST

Very nice Brian – the games looked GREAT – nice report. We look forward to you hosting again next year!!

PS: there were lots of Age of Sail games being played at MillenniumCon – Texas this year.

Next MillenniumCon is 9-11 November 2018 – see you there.

Charlie 12 Inactive Member18 Nov 2017 2:55 p.m. PST

Very nice writeup!

We've played the same scenario (including the unpredictable and always "interesting" Jerome. Especially if you get a player who plays him to the hilt!) several times. Always a good game.

BrianW18 Nov 2017 10:02 p.m. PST

torokchar,
Yes, there were a lot of AOS games this year. Kind of warmed my heart, as that's always been my first love where miniatures are concerned. I played in one of Jeff Hunt's Bloody Broadsides game, as his rules just invite big whomping melees and lots of fun.

Charlie 12,
Well, since you know the scenario I can talk to you more about it. There were 6 French players, so everyone commanded one ship. After I gave them the briefing, I let them pick who should play Jerome. He was perfect! In the post-game wrap, I actually referred to him as "the jovial maniac commanding Veteran," and he appreciated it.

Thanks to all the technical data in the original scenario here on TMP, it was easy to convert to Post Captain specifications. Did you write the original scenario? If so, thanks and if not, please convey my gratitude to the original author.
BWW

Blutarski19 Nov 2017 8:11 a.m. PST

Hi BrianW -
If you are referring to the 1806 Willaumez vs Cochrane off Tortola scenario, with Jerome Bonaparte going rogue for personal glory and Willaumez required to keep him out of trouble, that might well have been mine. I posted the full details of that scenario on TMP a while back.

It always delivers a fun time (usually in direct proportion to the degree of outrageousness displayed by the player representing Jerome). I also like the deeper level of responsibility it places upon the respective commanders. It is not just a "crash and bash" scenario.

Glad you enjoyed it.

B

One of these days, I'll finish my rules.

BrianW19 Nov 2017 10:06 a.m. PST

Blutarski,
Yes, it was you! I just could not remember your username last night when I wrote that post.

The player representing Jerome lived up to everyone's expectations in that regard. In the Post Captain rules, there are several ways Jerome could get whacked. Under normal conditions, you would have to roll a critical hit (either 9 or 12 on a D12, depending on whether you are firing high or low), and then roll a 3 (D12 again)on the critical hit table. If the two ships are within 50 yards of each other, then the marines have a chance of hitting an officer (12 on a D12), and it's the Captain on a further D12 roll of 1-2. So not easy, but possible.

Like you, I've grown tired of smash and bash type scenarios, even for conventions. I think these sorts of secret conditions do a lot towards adding some historical restrictions to a game. My favorite example is a Russian/Swedish matchup where the Swedes have no three-deckers but the Russians do. Telling the Russian player (but not the Swedish ones) that he will have to withdraw if his three-decker loses a mast will make him a bit less aggressive than the forces deployed might indicate.
BWW

Personal logo J Womack 94 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member19 Nov 2017 10:12 p.m. PST

Best of all, I made the blasted Frogs strike their colours!

Stern rake at pistol shot with a fresh broadside… devastating.

Charlie 12 Inactive Member20 Nov 2017 8:55 p.m. PST

An excellent scenario. I developed mine before I saw Blutarski's much better treatment (and then stole his mercilessly! What's the old saying? Young writers borrow, old writers steal!). If you get someone who really gets into the role of Jerome, it can be a hoot!

BrianW21 Nov 2017 8:36 p.m. PST

Charlie 12,
This is most certainly true!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.