Help support TMP

"Basing late war tank platoons" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

393 hits since 13 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

biturian varosh13 Nov 2017 11:33 a.m. PST

I`m about to start basing 3mm US and German tank platoons for Combat HQ. I'll have one base per platoon and the period I'm aiming for is fall 1944.

I know the full strength platoon sizes, but what would you consider to be "realistic" amount of tanks per platoon? This would naturally have varied greatly between units. I have a mix of Shermans and Stuarts for the US and Panthers, panzers IVHs, StuGs and a few Tigers for the Germans,

I`m thinking 4-5 tanks per base for the US and 3-4 for the Germans.

Jozis Tin Man Supporting Member of TMP13 Nov 2017 11:51 a.m. PST

Seems reasonable to me and would look good in 3mm. OR you could do the same on each but the German companies have fewer bases.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP13 Nov 2017 12:43 p.m. PST

Just getting into these rules myself. The number on a stand is immaterial in the game since at 3mm a single base represents a platoon. So strictly aesthetics as to how many you want to put on a base. For similar games I have seen 3 vehicles used. Leaves it a bit more flexible as to time and location. I would tend to go lower, the 3 vehicles per stand, if you wish to use the suggested base sizes as otherwise look much too crammed together. And when you get into some of the larger tanks you might consider 2 to a base.

advocate13 Nov 2017 12:58 p.m. PST

From historical accounts I get the impression that the Commonwealth and USA could be up to full strength overnight (absent a particularly serious loss) while Germans didn't have such a pool of replacement vehicles. So maybe understrength platoons on German bases?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.