Help support TMP

"Battle of Waterloo, 28mm, Shako II" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Battle Reports Message Board

801 hits since 7 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Jabba Miles07 Nov 2017 4:08 a.m. PST

Over the weekend of the 27th-29th October at New Buckenham Historical Wargamers the latest iteration of the club's Waterloo extravaganza was played out in 28mm using the Shako II rule set.

There follows a few pictures to whet the appetite with many, many more available with the AARs linked below. Hope you enjoy looking as much as the players enjoyed playing.

Lots more pics and AARs at

Waterloo 1pm-4pm

Waterloo 4pm-7pm

Waterloo 7pm-8.30pm

Tony.

ccmatty Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 4:21 a.m. PST

Wow! Incredible. Looks like an amazing game…

Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 4:57 a.m. PST

Absolutely! Wow! Just wow! Some of us can only dream.

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 5:05 a.m. PST

Impressive!

WarWizard07 Nov 2017 5:33 a.m. PST

Now that is a WARGAME!

thistlebarrow207 Nov 2017 6:36 a.m. PST

Very, very impressive wargame. Excellent scenery and well painted and presented figures. How many players took part? Is it a regular club where you play together regularly? All of the figures seemed to be painted to a similar standard and based the same. How many of your players contributed figures and how was the project coordinated?

Just scrolled through all three sets of photographs and equally impressed with the number and quality.

You all should be very proud of you achievement

Jabba Miles07 Nov 2017 7:17 a.m. PST

@thistlebarrow2

Around 24 people were involved in the game including the umpires.

Yes we are a regular club and play every Friday night and have several big weekend games a year.

All of the club members napoleonic figures are based to the same system, that of Shako II, so we have a pool of figures that can be used, even for other rules. A lot of the basing has been done by one member, or copied by others, hence some of the uniformity and we also have regular paint nights so tips etc get passed around so the standard of painting within the club raises.

As to how many people contributed figures, I'm not totally sure but I think around four or five.

The game is pretty much a labour of love for one of the club's founders and he coordinates it. Every time it has been played over the years a bit more has been added. I believe it started as just D'erlon's attack in the centre and grew. The Prussians and Plancenoit are the lastest additions.

Tony.

DisasterWargamer Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 9:34 a.m. PST

Nicely done

wrgmr107 Nov 2017 5:15 p.m. PST

Superb looking game! Wonderful AAR!

A few questions if I may, as our group plays Shako 2 as well.
I see some British battalions are larger than others. Does that signify more or less kills?
Was the OOB reduced any?
Do you have some system for officer casualties, does it effect morale in any way?
Are the town sectors as per the rules?
We have played this battle 3 times with a win for the French every time.

Changes we have thought about. Increase Prussian Landwehr from 3 to 4 for melee but keep them at 3 kills. Motivated but fragile.
Reduce the Young Guard to 4 for melee but keep them at 5 for kills. As these were the best of the draft in 1815, they are basically untrained militia, however motivated.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

GamesPoet Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 5:38 p.m. PST

Stunning. I love the terrain, the figures, and the pictures showing the multiple folks participating. Very impressive.

Aspern1809 Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 7:10 p.m. PST

Superb!

True Grit08 Nov 2017 1:54 a.m. PST

Outstanding ! well done guys, obviously a huge amount of work involved, love the design of the battlefield table.

Lord Hill08 Nov 2017 11:30 a.m. PST

Best post ever – hundreds of close up photos of beautifully painted 28mm Naps in action! Hours of drooling await.

Jabba Miles09 Nov 2017 2:01 a.m. PST

@wrgmr1

Thomas some answers for you.

1) The larger Bn's are to represent the bigger footprint of units such as the Foot Gd's & 52nd which does give them a broader 'firing frontage.

2) The OOB is NOT reduced every unit is represented.

3) Officer casualties listed in the AAR's are rolled for if an officer is attached to a unit, or if his divisional/Corps commander(player) rolls a double one on the initiative roll. We then have 'Chance' cards in envelopes & the player has to pick one. Often these state that a Div' or Corps commander has been hit & then we roll a D12 for the effect on an officer hit chart. Other cards allow for command figures to get a +1, or a battery has to retire for ammo etc.

4) 'Town' sectors are far larger than in the rules. Hougoumont & LHS in particular. However these are great terrain pieces & do not effect the overall feel of the battle/game. Indeed they help 'funnel the French attacks as Wellington intended &. as I say, these iconic buildings look great & add to the visual dynamic of this famous battle.

5) Yes re the Prussian Landwehr we do the same as some of these units were large & these larger Landwehr units have an extra stand of figures too.

6) We keep the Young Guard at a 5, but also the middle Guard is a 5 in our game. Only the 8 Old Guard Bn's are on a 6.

In 2014 a clear French win, in 2015 a clear Allied win (apt for the anniversary).

Tony , for Chris the "organiser"

Jabba Miles09 Nov 2017 2:02 a.m. PST

On behalf of all involved at the club many thanks for your fine comments.

Tony.

wrgmr109 Nov 2017 10:29 a.m. PST

Thanks Tony!

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP12 Nov 2017 7:19 a.m. PST

Wow! Not a lot of room for maneuver but who cares! This is great stuff. I hope you have all this kit insured. Just spectacular!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.