Help support TMP

"China is Launching Their Highly Classified Reusable" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

357 hits since 6 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2017 8:35 p.m. PST

…Spaceplane in 2020.

"Officials from the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) released a statement on Tuesday saying they'll be ready to launch the next-generation spaceplane by 2020, according to a report by state news service Xinhua. If the statement is any indication, China seems to be have made significant headway on the development of a highly-secretive advance spacecraft.

At first glance, it may not seem to be a remarkable feat: reusable space rockets have been making headlines consistently since SpaceX successfully launched a used Falcon 9 earlier this year. The company has been flying missions aboard reusable Falcon 9 rockets to the International Space Station, as well as to ferry satellites from private corporations and even several nations…"
Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

KniazSuvorov07 Nov 2017 4:59 p.m. PST

Cool, if it works.

Hopefully even the possibility of the Chinese making one will spur the competition to create a working space plane. Low-cost spaceflight would be amazing!

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2017 9:27 p.m. PST

Agree!

Amicalement
Armand

Lion in the Stars07 Nov 2017 9:49 p.m. PST

I'm not sure that a highly reusable spaceplane will reduce the cost of orbital access.

I mean, there's currently only about 50 space launches a year across the globe.

You'd need to drop the cost of space access by orders of magnitude to make additional launches economically feasible, and reusing an orbiter requires a LOT of inspection and maintenance.

I think the only way to get into space cheaply is an orbital elevator, and an orbital elevator requires creating multi-thousand-km-long carbon nanotubes.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.