Help support TMP

"The U.S. Navy Still Hasnít Figured Out How to Make ..." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

Action Log

04 Nov 2017 5:38 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Modern Media board
  • Crossposted to Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) board

609 hits since 2 Nov 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2017 8:57 p.m. PST

… a Decent Uniform.

"In 2016, the U.S. Navy announced it would dump the much-derided NWU Type I ó also known as the "blueberry" or "aquaflage" ó after it was revealed in 2012 that the uniforms are flammable. Fire, of course, is one of the greatest threats to sailors.

That was the worst of several problems, such as the fact that camouflaged NWU Type Is are blue, black and gray, and were worn by sailors working on ships … at sea.

It was a terrible design. The Navy is replacing them with green camouflage ó NWU Type IIIs ó for use ashore by October 2019. Although why, precisely, sailors need a separate, green camo uniform is not exactly clear…"
Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

14Bore04 Nov 2017 2:17 a.m. PST

And heŕe I thought it was going to be about omlets

14Bore04 Nov 2017 2:20 a.m. PST

Actually I always thoughg the blue cammo looked out of place

Lion in the Stars04 Nov 2017 6:53 a.m. PST

Whatever happened to the basic blue coveralls for underway uniform? I'm pretty sure that Nomex can be dyed blue! Just issue a lot more of the disposable coveralls for painting the ship.

Then you just use MARPAT or ACU for the Sailors that need shore-side camo.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2017 9:44 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Andrew Walters Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2017 10:45 a.m. PST

Blue, black and grey camouflage is great because if you actually fall *into* the ocean it's hard to shoot you. Of course, it's also hard to rescue you, so you gotta wear and orange life vest or something.

I don;t believe there's evidence that it's harder for a missile to maintain a radar lock on a ship if the sailors *inside* the ship are wearing camouflage.

But if the sailors are outside the ship and do not wish to be seen, they are probably ashore, so green camouflage makes perfect sense.

Airmen who work on aircraft should wear grey, so they blend in with the tarmac. Pilots should be wrapped in a lot of fluffy cotton so they look like clouds. This isn't rocket science.

My biggest complaint is people who cross the street at night far from any crosswalk wearing all dark or black clothes. At least get some light-up sneakers, people!

Oberlindes Sol LIC04 Nov 2017 12:19 p.m. PST

Bicyclists in all black spandex and no lights: I hope their organ donor cards are filled out, because they are young and healthy and, except for their brains, probably have organs that smarter people could use.

I would think that most tactical operations ashore would take place in port, so gray and tan camouflage would be best.

KniazSuvorov04 Nov 2017 4:59 p.m. PST

Well, thank g*d this incompetent organisation isn't in charge of a massive war fleet with the world's second-largest air force and a massive nuclear arsenal.

Oh wait.

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2017 5:56 p.m. PST

HA! 14Bore took the words out of my mouth!

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2017 6:00 p.m. PST

Bring back the classic blues, khakis, and whites -- seamen don't need to be camouflaged onboard a ship -- and the old work denims and twills for dirty jobs and stop all the nonsense. Thus spaketh Salty Old Grognard.

Lion in the Stars04 Nov 2017 10:29 p.m. PST

Hell no, the whites were the crappiest uniform! Impossible to keep clean, you needed to replace them about every season.

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP05 Nov 2017 7:39 p.m. PST

OK, then reserve those for the ossifers! (They need to suffer.)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.