Help support TMP

"Pictures Reveal A North Korean Army Not Ready For War " Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

892 hits since 24 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP25 Oct 2017 9:17 p.m. PST

"PICTURES smuggled out of North Korea by a tourist appear to reveal the true unprepared reality of Kim Jong-un's army.

As the North Korean leader continues to ratchet up his rhetoric with US President Donald Trump amid heightened fears of a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula, these revealing snaps show a different side of the story.

The pictures, taken between Mount Kumgang and the city of Wonsan on North Korea's east coast, show trucks that date back to World War II, dangerously overladen vehicles, female soldiers wearing high heels, fighters who appear to be carrying fake weapons and exhausted troops sleeping by the roadside…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP26 Oct 2017 6:25 a.m. PST

Yeah, it's gonna be a cakewalk.

Lion in the Stars26 Oct 2017 6:51 a.m. PST

I hope that's sarcasm, piper909.

North Koreans are incredibly heavily indoctrinated, and (from their point of view) are defending their home from Yankee Devil invaders that are going to eat their children. (I wish I was joking about that eating kids thing)

That's an existential fight. I would be very surprised if any Nork soldiers surrendered. (Though I was also surprised that lots of Iraqi soldiers surrendered back in 1991)

Exhausted troops is a normal thing, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down, and never be awake when you can be asleep. Even in the US Army.

Old gear is not necessarily bad. Pretty sure the German Army still has a large number of "MG3" that have some funny grind marks on them from where the Nazi markings were removed.

Trucks, as long as you have spare parts, don't really wear out. And WW2 tech is solidly in the range of what the Norks can make, so I'd expect to see lots of that stuff still in good repair.

14th NJ Vol Supporting Member of TMP26 Oct 2017 7:17 a.m. PST

A fight vs. the North Koreans will not be anything like any of the recent conflicts in the middle east. They have enough fanatics that will stand & fight. Remembering a WW2 machine gun can kill just like it's modern counterparts. Do not take the North Koreans lightly. Train to fight them like they are the best troops in the world, and if the prove otherwise, it's a bonus.

WarWizard26 Oct 2017 10:39 a.m. PST

Their biggest advantage is their numbers. But that can also be used against them if you can target large numbers of them and take out big "chunks" at a time. But I agree, you cannot underestimate their resistance. They have been trained to hate Westerners. So same fanatical thinking as the Japanese had in WWII – they would rather die than surrender.

nsolomon9926 Oct 2017 11:51 a.m. PST

I remember being told the Iraqi Republican Guard were a well trained, well equipped, heavily indoctrinated, elite force with a huge stake in defending the regime. They would fight to the death with their advanced technology and our casualties would be impossible to bear and the decadent western imperialists would break and run first.

And yet?!

Lion in the Stars26 Oct 2017 6:15 p.m. PST

Significant chunks of the Republican Guard *DID* fight to the end. It just wasn't well-covered in the media.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Oct 2017 8:11 p.m. PST

I clearly recall the media shouting how the American Military was really in for some troubles when they ran into the vaunted Iraqi republican guard -- so much for that??? 🤔
That being said, it is very foolish to take any enemy lightly.

Regards
Russ Dunaway

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP27 Oct 2017 2:31 a.m. PST

One of the benefits of studying history is we can see recurring patterns.

link

Major B27 Oct 2017 4:36 p.m. PST

Note we do not have the army we had during Desert Storm. Do not underestimate N. Korea.

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP27 Oct 2017 5:37 p.m. PST

Okay, what makes N. Koreans superior to S. Koreans? Don't the S. Koreans see the advantages of their lifestyle? Won't they fight to defend that? Wouldn't the threat of destruction make the S. Koreans "fanatical" about resisting an invasion? Wouldn't their morale be on a par with the ignorant indoctrination of the N. Korean army? With US and general Western support, I would expect the S. Koreans to be very tough when it came to a real shooting war. The N. Koreans might get in the first blows, but the counterattack would push right into N. Korea, especially since air support would be entirely on our side after the opening hostilities.

The real worm in the apple is China. And if China decided to side with N. Korea for any reason, Russia would be the wild card. The renewed Korean war could spawn the 21st century's "Great War"…………

Lion in the Stars28 Oct 2017 5:04 a.m. PST

Well, China has said that any event that could result in radioactive contamination of China will result in China invading North Korea.

So, it's possible that the US could tell the Chinese, "Either you take care of the problem, or we are going to bomb the Nuclear plant, which will result in radioactive contamination of China."

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP28 Oct 2017 10:13 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

ROUWetPatchBehindTheSofa29 Oct 2017 5:00 a.m. PST

A lot of those photos suggest construction brigades or some such, stick them in a uniform and given them army pay – doesn't make them soldiers. The wood gas kit looks for all the world like a road tar heater!

The guys with the fake guns are probably some proletariat militia and I'd bet they only see the real thing on high days and holidays. No serious authoritarian, for all the communist and juche window dressing, is going to allow large chunks of the population access to military weaponry. They might get funny ideas about how the country is run…

Oh, and girls in the tractor, not surprising since I understand that the military has it own farms.

I'm sure they're heavily indoctrinated, but I'd bet from the look of most of them if a Chinese or American tank rolling around the corner they'd do the common sense thing. And that's ditch the uniform and go home…

wardog29 Oct 2017 12:54 p.m. PST

these guys have been indoctrinated since they were born possibility a lot of their parents as well,
plus has what the north korean soldier been told would happen to their families if they dont fight

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2017 2:47 p.m. PST

Reading about those who can left NK… half of those "soldiers" are waiting an opportunity to run…

I don't see them fighting with the lebel ISIS did…

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.