Help support TMP

"Board to Miniatures with Ars Victor" Topic

2 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Miniature Boardgames Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with SF Gaming Message Board

Back to the 6mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

339 hits since 22 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Queen Catherine23 Oct 2017 5:31 p.m. PST

I saw just two threads on this from several years ago, to my surprise, so starting a new one.

Picked up the boardgame "Ars Victor" on a whim – mainly because it was on sale and said "The One-Hour Wargame" and as I'm such a BIG fan of Neil Thomas and his book, "One-Hour Wargames" I was curious.

Well, in short, curiosity paid off here. Found this excellent board game with great graphics and clean, tight rules, a tile board that has zillions of combinations, and uses troop types that clearly have some inspiration in other games I have, from 40K to Starship Troopers, and more. The Limited Edition I picked up has 60 units of "not-Imperial Guard / not-Space Marines" fighitng 60 units of "not-Eldar". I can see a lot of uses for this game, from playing it as a straight board game to switching it to table top.

The game is apparently in the vein of the fabulously popular "Command and Colors" series, which I haven't had the privilege to try out yet, altho lots of my pals have and like them, and is by one of that design team.

So some interesting possibilities, but wondering if anyone else has tried this and just not posted here…

1) Translation to table top – any problems needing workarounds? If so, how'd you do it? I know there are some people who have played Command and Colors as a miniatures game.

2) Is there a scale that works best? I've some old 15mm sci-fi, and a bunch of 40K stuff unplayed for almost ten years [haven't sold it off b/c a bunch is very nicely painted], but zero 6mm stuff as I sold off all my epic stuff, unplayed, a few years ago.

3) Having just gotten the game, haven't played it yet – any problems with the design or execution that need to be addressed?

4) Is AV as newbie-friendly as it claims?
I see this as a good board game to get started with, sort of like Space Hulk or one of the new 40K games, except that – even easier – you don't need to even assemble the miniatures for this game, much less paint them. You could easily play this a bunch while painting up some 6mm armies, then hit the table when ready.

In short, I've never done this before. , I've heard of people doing it with Memoir'44 and C&C so I'm thinking I should get some good advice!

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Logain23 Oct 2017 7:48 p.m. PST

I've been tempted, but haven't given it a play. Curious to hear what you think.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.